Battery 0%, not charging. Shuts down during demanding tasks. ROG G751JY

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl_39

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
So like 5 months ago my ROG didnt want to charge to 100% anymore. I didnt like it but never used it without the AC, so I didnt think much of it. So I went away for a week so i disconnected the AC - when I came back the battery was dead. It says "0% avaliable (plugged in, charging). Its not really a big deal since I always use it with the AC, but recently when I am gaming the laptop just turns off. I can turn it on right away - so it seems it loses power for half a second or something, which is enough to turn it off.
Seems like my battery serve more of a purpose other than running with no AC. And should provide extra current during high demand usage like heavy gaming, and also carry you through brownouts.
Anybody managed to fix this without opening the f'ing thing and replacing it with a 100 euro battery?

sjdax7

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017

Hey Karl,

I've been struggling with nearly the same issue with my Asus G751JY. My original battery does still hold a charge, and will run over an hour when disconnected from AC.
But when I'm doing demanding tasks, like gaming, it disconnects from AC power, like you described. Sometimes it would reconnect to AC, sometimes no. When it appeared to disconnect from AC, and nothing I did would make it connect again, took it to a computer shop. They said battery and AC charger tested fine, and said most likely a motherboard issue. I was within a 2 year extended warranty (barely), and sent to Asus repair facility, which replaced both the motherboard, and the power port.
The repair did not resolve the issue. It would disconnect from AC and switch to battery under demanding tasks like gaming.
I saw some behavior that led me to suspect the AC charger. I just bought a new 230 watt charger, and am sad to say, it still disconnects from AC power.
So I have replaced the Motherboard, Power port, and AC Charger. I haven't replaced the battery yet, but seems like maybe the last possible culprit? What else could it be!?

How did your battery replacement work out for you?

Karl_39

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

Nope, the battery replacement didnt work out. I mean the battery works, but after some time the laptop didnt recognize that the AC was plugged in, so a rapair shop soldered a new one on, and it worked for a little while. But now its worse than ever. Cant even open a tab in chrome without the AC disconnecting and connecting again.

Tried to stresstest with FurMark, and it immediately turned off..

Getting ready to throw this one in the trash. Given me so much headache

May 15, 2021

Nope, the battery replacement didnt work out. I mean the battery works, but after some time the laptop didnt recognize that the AC was plugged in, so a rapair shop soldered a new one on, and it worked for a little while. But now its worse than ever. Cant even open a tab in chrome without the AC disconnecting and connecting again.

Tried to stresstest with FurMark, and it immediately turned off..

Getting ready to throw this one in the trash. Given me so much headache

Hello Karl!

I'm from Brazil too! I bought my G751JY when i was living in California, and i ave the same issue! I'm wondering if you found the problem?

The battery i have here is always at 0%, so i just disconnected it. I couldn't just open a game and then the notebook turns on. Today i was played for 1 hour and everything went fine. I opened other games and everything was ok until it turned off again.

If i'm playing and i touch the AC conector, my notebook turns off...i think it could be bad contact!

Anyway, i still don't have a solution!

Anyone here could find out????

Status
Not open for further replies.