battery life...............

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

what is your battery lasting in ipaq (4150), i got only few hours!!? whats
about general battery life??

is it true that's the recharging battery safe even it is not completely?

tnx
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

> what is your battery lasting in ipaq (4150), i got only few hours!!?
whats
> about general battery life??

A few hours (3-4) is more or less usual, but the actual run time varies by a
number of factors. Backlight, Bluetooth, WLAN and CPU-intensive software
such as games and multimedia apps are high drainers. If you turn off
backlight and sit for hours just using Microsoft reader, the run time can
easily be more than 10 hours.

> is it true that's the recharging battery safe even it is not completely?

Yes. You shouldn't let the battery discharge deeply, because it is likely to
be damaged. Deep discharge means that the device turns off in use or will
not even power on.

--
Marc Zimmermann [http://www.zimac.de]
Microsoft MVP - Windows Mobile

Club Pocket PC Ruhr > http://www.clubpocketpc-ruhr.org
German User Groups > http://www.clubpocketpc.de
European User Groups > http://www.clubpocketpc-europe.org
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Marc Zimmermann [MVP] wrote:
>> what is your battery lasting in ipaq (4150), i got only few hours!!?
>> whats about general battery life??
>
> A few hours (3-4) is more or less usual, but the actual run time
> varies by a number of factors. Backlight, Bluetooth, WLAN and
> CPU-intensive software such as games and multimedia apps are high
> drainers. If you turn off backlight and sit for hours just using
> Microsoft reader, the run time can easily be more than 10 hours.
>
>> is it true that's the recharging battery safe even it is not
>> completely?
>
> Yes. You shouldn't let the battery discharge deeply, because it is
> likely to be damaged. Deep discharge means that the device turns off
> in use or will not even power on.

hmm, ok, what do u think, which is the best way to charge it? from 10% to
full or
u can charge and recharge whenever u want? Seems logical to me that is best
way
for batt to charge to 100%, am i right?

tnx for answers!

regards
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

With the batteries in pocketpc's it's best to charge whenever you can.
Unlike ni-cads and nimh batteries you don't have to wait for them to drain
before charging. In alot of the ppc manuals they reccommed that you keep
the device on charge whenever you can.

--
Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)

The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...



"SM" <sm@sm.com> wrote in message news:chkd33$ik5$1@ls219.htnet.hr...
> Marc Zimmermann [MVP] wrote:
>>> what is your battery lasting in ipaq (4150), i got only few hours!!?
>>> whats about general battery life??
>>
>> A few hours (3-4) is more or less usual, but the actual run time
>> varies by a number of factors. Backlight, Bluetooth, WLAN and
>> CPU-intensive software such as games and multimedia apps are high
>> drainers. If you turn off backlight and sit for hours just using
>> Microsoft reader, the run time can easily be more than 10 hours.
>>
>>> is it true that's the recharging battery safe even it is not
>>> completely?
>>
>> Yes. You shouldn't let the battery discharge deeply, because it is
>> likely to be damaged. Deep discharge means that the device turns off
>> in use or will not even power on.
>
> hmm, ok, what do u think, which is the best way to charge it? from 10% to
> full or
> u can charge and recharge whenever u want? Seems logical to me that is
> best
> way
> for batt to charge to 100%, am i right?
>
> tnx for answers!
>
> regards
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

sorry for bother u, one more question please!

im going to buy lighter charger, should i buy original hp or its all
same thing! i saw many third party cheap chargers but im not sure
about quality, maybe thats not good for batt (voltage, etc) ??

whats your opinion?

tnx
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

> hmm, ok, what do u think, which is the best way to charge it? from 10%
> to full or u can charge and recharge whenever u want? Seems logical to
> me that is best way for batt to charge to 100%, am i right?

Most users charge whenever they cradle-sync, regardless of the current
battery level. That should do no harm and is the way that the manufacturers
intend them to be used.

The batteries used in current devices should be good for 500+ charging
cycles before there is a noticeable capacity decrease. I have yet to find
some official information whether charging from 90% to 100% is considered a
charge cycle or ten such top-offs are.

I myself am not having powered cradles on my desktop but rather only charge
my devices when they really need it (below about 20-30%) and sync via IrDA
or WLAN. By using this procedure, even my old iPAQ H3650 from September 2000
still has good battery capacity.

--
Marc Zimmermann [http://www.zimac.de]
Microsoft MVP - Windows Mobile

Club Pocket PC Ruhr > http://www.clubpocketpc-ruhr.org
German User Groups > http://www.clubpocketpc.de
European User Groups > http://www.clubpocketpc-europe.org
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Your mentioning charge cycles reminded me of this..
My IBM Thinkpad currently lives off of a Lithium Ion battery and it
has a built in cycle counter that I check every once in a while.
for this battery it seems that 'topping it off' at any given
remaining percentage between 30% and 80% does mean I lose a cycle,
even though it wasn't fully discharged and then fully charged.
This is just a laptop though, and the battery monitoring software
that reads the counter can be lying to me as well.

I wonder if PPC batteries also have a counter installed inside
that could be interrogated for the cycle count.




~S.









"Marc Zimmermann [MVP]" <this.address@is.invalid> wrote in
news:OSwLnHOlEHA.948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

> The batteries used in current devices should be good for 500+ charging
> cycles before there is a noticeable capacity decrease. I have yet to
> find some official information whether charging from 90% to 100% is
> considered a charge cycle or ten such top-offs are.
>






--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
HTTP://www.xarane.com
======================
Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
10790 Total Signatures on Monday, Sep. 6th 2004!
HP 'Windows Mobile 2003 SE Support' Forum:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=641503
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

> im going to buy lighter charger, should i buy original hp or its all
> same thing! i saw many third party cheap chargers but im not sure
> about quality, maybe thats not good for batt (voltage, etc) ??
>
> whats your opinion?

I've read some stories about some of the cheaper ones not having proper
circuitry for protecting the device from surges. This could cause damage
when the device is connected while you start the car. I don't know if that's
true, though. Filing a damage complainint with the device manufacturer might
be easier if you have their official car adapter.

--
Marc Zimmermann [http://www.zimac.de]
Microsoft MVP - Windows Mobile

Club Pocket PC Ruhr > http://www.clubpocketpc-ruhr.org
German User Groups > http://www.clubpocketpc.de
European User Groups > http://www.clubpocketpc-europe.org
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>
> I myself am not having powered cradles on my desktop but rather only
> charge my devices when they really need it (below about 20-30%) and
> sync via IrDA or WLAN. By using this procedure, even my old iPAQ
> H3650 from September 2000 still has good battery capacity.

thats my way too,


tnx man!
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Marc Zimmermann [MVP] wrote:
>> im going to buy lighter charger, should i buy original hp or its all
>> same thing! i saw many third party cheap chargers but im not sure
>> about quality, maybe thats not good for batt (voltage, etc) ??
>>
>> whats your opinion?
>
> I've read some stories about some of the cheaper ones not having
> proper circuitry for protecting the device from surges. This could
> cause damage when the device is connected while you start the car. I
> don't know if that's true, though. Filing a damage complainint with
> the device manufacturer might be easier if you have their official
> car adapter.

ok, tnx
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY