battery not charging

zakiph

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
my dad has pretty old laptop (2010 and hasn' been used since 2012 or something) and since it upgraded to windows 10 the battery icon shows that it's not charging and it also shows 100%. but when i remove the battery while it's still on it recognizes that it's gone. when i put it back it still thinks it's gone even tho you hear the sound of the battery connecting. its not the upper part of the ac adapter, i tested it.

Try turning off the laptop and see if the battery will charge then. If it will, it is probably the charger cord. It isn't putting out enough power to run the laptop and charge it.

If it won't charge then either, I would be looking at a battery replacement.

PS. You think that is an old computer... I have one made in early 80's hanging around here. Still works too. :) http://oldcomputers.net/attache.html I had so much fun with that thing!

zakiph

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
i have tried charging it will it's turned off and it does not work. the weird thing is it runs completely off the battery. without the battery it will never go on. but if you take it out will it's still on it will just work further perfectly fine. it's just using the ac adapters electricity then i think.

so you know it's a medion E7216 notebook pc.
4gb ram and 546gb of storage

zakiph

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
look it turns on if the battery and the cord are connected, but while it's on you can take out the battery and it will stay on. that means it gets electricity directly from the cord. but if there is no battery in the laptop it will never be able to turn on.