Battery on Continuous charge? Bad/Fine?

Alyxm

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Hey I bought this around 2 weeks ago, and the battery charges insanely fast, which is great, but it lasts around the same time it charges, and I keep having to get up and pull the plug out of the adapter because I dont want to have to damage that without a seeded power end.. I basically have no idea about modern battery management, I heard that latest battery packs can be left in and forgotten to worry about seeing how they have built in fail safes to stop them from overcharging.. does my laptop have this? Thanks

Vortex Series 4

Vortex Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 770M - 3.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 240GB INTEL® 530 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 490MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless/Wired Networking GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N-7260 (300Mbps, 802.11BGN) + BLUETOOTH

Alyxm

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
I didnt ask if it was a bad battery.. I asked can I keep it on a continuous charge? And to reply to your answer, what laptops out there give a 6 hours battery life to a gaming machine/heavy working machine? I wasn't talking about that, I was asking can I run it on a continuous charge, please refrain from commenting on things I'm not asking about. The battery does last longer than its charge, but its not going to be like a mac book pro battery where there is feck all power and the battery hardly has to work..

laviniuc

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

sorry misread i thought you wrote that it charges instantly and loses charge instantly (aka you can't keep it on battery at all)

i keep my laptop plugged at all times when i'm at home. the problem isn't the overcharge but rather the heat that can damage the battery. that's why sometime you will hear recommendations to take it out if you are always plugged in.

Alyxm

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

Thanks for responding quickly enough, and sorry if I came across a little hostile, hate animosity.. anyway! I work around 7-8 hours a day on it, would you say it would be ok if I were to plug it out only once within that time frame, its a brand new laptop, and the room Im in is cool enough, what are the chances of the battery overheating?

laviniuc

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
slim to none, as i said i keep mine plugged all the time too. but if you're playing on it, from time to time touch the battery and check how warm it is. (it depends on the actual model and how close the cpu/gpu is to the battery).

Since the battery can be removed simply use the laptop without the battery. When and if you decide to use the laptop away from then install the battery so that it can be fully charged.

Many, but not all, laptop have a power management app that automatically limits the battery charge at 50% - 80% unless you override it. Something called "Lithium Plating" is the primary cause of lithium-ion battery failure. Lithium plating can occur overtime or rather quickly. The theory is that when the battery is close to a full charge, the high charge state causes the formation of lithium plating to occur.

Lithium plating is basically the lithium ions combining together to form deposits of lithium metal in the battery. Since this reduces the amount of available lithium ions in the battery, the capacity starts to fall. Lithium plating can also cause internal short circuits as well since lithium plates can conduct electricity from one part of the battery to another. This further reduces the overall capacity of the battery and it is said that it can damage the battery as well.

There was an incident where a Dell laptop exploded and it was caught on camera (it was during some type of conference). One theory has to do the lithium plating causing a short circuit. So much current was being discharged within the battery that it could have super heated which possibly caused the battery to explode.