Battery showing false 'time remaining'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock2010

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Hello.
I have bought a new HP tm2t laptop. It's battery backup is quite good but whenever i use it on battery,it always shows a false 'time remaining'. Infact,it shows the 1/4th of the original time remaining. Someone please guide me how to resolve this problem.

Thanks.

Solution
well, all you can try to do is go to device manager and try to update the driver for your battery. If windows doesn't find anything automatically, try looking at the manufacturer's support website, there might be some solutions there if this is an identified and widespread problem. Beyond that you can't do much.

AntiZig

Distinguished
Can you please elaborate on your expression of "1/4 of the original time remaining"

If the battery is not fully charged it will not work as long as if it was on full charge

if the battery is several years old, it will not be able to hold charge as well as a new battery

oh and one more thing, windows battery meter is not very accurate

Rock2010

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Laptop is new and battery as well. After using the battery for 2 hours,it showed 50% remaining but 'time remaining' was only 30 minutes. That means, the time which it reflects ,is always the 1/4 of what it should have shown.

Is there a way to resolve this issue?

Thanks.

AntiZig

Distinguished
well no, not exactly. if you used your laptop for 2 hrs for light task, like editing a text document you probably were using very little battery power, but if you're watching a divx movie or something the power consumption goes up and you would only get 30 minutes out of the remaining power. and as I said, windows battery meter is not an accurate tool. It tries to estimate how long you have left given the current battery voltage, but as I described above your consumption of this power changes depending on what you're doing with the computer, plus, there's also such things as battery characteristics that come into play, it might be able to hold charge better at 12.5V giving you something like 20kwhr, but once you drop down to 12.3V it will only get 5kwhr. Windows tries to estimate the consumption based on various sensors, but it can only do so much with just a few numbers.

So, I guess, tldr - time remaining is not an exact science and depends on many many things, so you should treat it as such - an estimate. It could be more, it could be less, it could be exactly on the dot, but noone will guarantee you either. A better estimate is the % of power remaining, because windows will forcefully shutdown the machine at certain % of power remaining rather than 10 minutes remaining.

Rock2010

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Thanks for the explanation..But i think,i couldn't use the correct words to make u understand the exact situation.
Whatever u said,is quite true and i understand that. But when i turn on my old laptop,it shows 2 hours and later on,it keeps reducing depending on the tasks i do. But in this new one,as soon as i turn it on(even before opening any application),it starts showing 1 hour 30 minutes. But in real, it will last much longer than that..upto 4 hours.
So i m sure there is a problem,otherwise i know very well how to understand the 'time remaining' as i have been using laptops for quite a long time.

But if there is no solution to this problem,then i will not pay much attention to this.

Thanks.

AntiZig

Distinguished
well, all you can try to do is go to device manager and try to update the driver for your battery. If windows doesn't find anything automatically, try looking at the manufacturer's support website, there might be some solutions there if this is an identified and widespread problem. Beyond that you can't do much.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.