Before I order...

devildog44

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Will an Acoustic Audio PSW-6 powered subwoofer work with my Sony STR-DH550 amp?

The amp has two black RCA type outputs for the sub and the sub has L/R red & white RCA
inputs as well as high level L/R +/- spring type connectors...

thx

Solution

Confuse the newbies. :)

My explanation is, L/R came from the olden days of 2 channels, there was no sub-out connector back then, and if you wanted to add a sub, you had to tap the Front L/R and feed those to the sub.

Look at the back panel of the new sub carefully, I believe this puppy will take either a mono sub out, or stereo sub out. If that's the case you are covered no matter what your amp throws at you.

Again, look at the back of the amp. If those two black jacks simply say SUB, connect BOTH channels, if however the black jacks say SUB1 and SUB2 it means it's capable of supporting up 2 sub boxes (signal on both jacks are identical, relieving you of having to buy a Y-cable if u have...

devildog44

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

Thx, I'll try that. Why would a subwoofer have L/R inputs?

Confuse the newbies. :)

My explanation is, L/R came from the olden days of 2 channels, there was no sub-out connector back then, and if you wanted to add a sub, you had to tap the Front L/R and feed those to the sub.

Look at the back panel of the new sub carefully, I believe this puppy will take either a mono sub out, or stereo sub out. If that's the case you are covered no matter what your amp throws at you.

Again, look at the back of the amp. If those two black jacks simply say SUB, connect BOTH channels, if however the black jacks say SUB1 and SUB2 it means it's capable of supporting up 2 sub boxes (signal on both jacks are identical, relieving you of having to buy a Y-cable if u have a 2-sub setup), so in this case you only need ONE channel, and hook up to your single new sub over the MONO labeled jack.

Solution