Behold a Poser's Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitrous9200

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
This handset doesn't have Windows Mobile, you even said that it's not a "real" smartphone. The Omnia is a smartphone, this is not.

Claimintru

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
This is a horribly written article from a journalistic standpoint. It's obviously heavily biased, the writing style does nothing but insult the product (Whether it deserves it or not), and the few positives about the product are written off as "it has this...buttttt.......".

Very unprofessional, hardly objective and if I got paid to write things like this I could slander just about any product up and down.

For the record I'm not saying the complaints about the phone are bad, by all means seeing pictures of where the SD card slot is makes me surprised, but they're just brought about poorly.

nitrous9200

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
Yes, actually I am. A dumbphone like this is not nearly as flexible or customizable as a smartphone with a real OS. Sure, you can get a Voyager and use email on it for example, but it's not going to be as good as a Windows Mobile phone, Blackberry or iPhone. Plus a real smartphone can run applications instead of just little apps from the Get it Now store for example. The "iPhone killer" dumbphones like the Voyager and Instinct look really useful on the outside, but aren't going to be quite as versatile.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Claimintru[/nom]This is a horribly written article from a journalistic standpoint. It's obviously heavily biased, the writing style does nothing but insult the product (Whether it deserves it or not), and the few positives about the product are written off as "it has this...buttttt.......".Very unprofessional, hardly objective and if I got paid to write things like this I could slander just about any product up and down.For the record I'm not saying the complaints about the phone are bad, by all means seeing pictures of where the SD card slot is makes me surprised, but they're just brought about poorly.[/citation]
Claimintru,
I appreciate that you noticed the different style of this article, even if you didn't like it. I experimented with a shorter review style, and used a more casual tone. I would argue that the article is not biased, since as a reviewer I look at many phones and offer my opinion on their merits. My objective with this review was to try to determine who would buy it (whose needs does it meet?). I came away thinking that there are not many people for whom this phone would be ideal. Also, I don't think it is technically possible to slander a cell phone :)

Thanks for reading,
Rachel Rosmarin, Editor of Tom's Guide

G

first of all , this phone is for people switching from a regular cell phone to a better interface. second, t-mobile does not require you to join a 40$ a month data plan. you can simply get a regular plan and pay just phone charge and use the calander, music player, games etc...just no email and internet. (that's 2000$ of saving compare to iphone)..if you want the extra internet , you can get a $24 3G data plan...way cheaper than ATT and verizon.
the phone is small...it rings loud and call quality and reception is good. (unlike iphone...my reception is really bad)...it does well on it's primary function...a phone.
As for browser..yes, all samsung phones use the same crappy browser that slows down the 3G connetion. (I had samsung instinct on sprint and it's the same bad browser on a fast network...GPS downloads quick on that phone...so it's the browser problem).
however, you can download a third party browser to use on this phone...your experience will be much better...
screen is small ...not as good as iphone but you get a small phone to carry around.
my wife has this phone and after comparing with my iphone, I think it's as good as it get for this price range and without the killer
contract price with ATT or Verison.

Status
Not open for further replies.