behringer europro 1602 mixer

Solution
Right no doubt you have lost the use of the speakers because you have unplugged them from the mixer output to plug the reel to reel in.
If you require the speakers to play the mixer output then you will need two Y cables with speakers on one leg of the Y and reel to reel on the other.
The alternative would be to use a Y cable that has a stereo jack and two mono jack sockets and to plug your speakers into the mono jack sockets then plug the stereo jack into either the mixer or the reel to reel headphone sockets and your headphones into the other one.

Now to levels.
Say you are recording from the cd then turn the level control on the cd channel up until the VU LEDs are just into the red with the master levels at about half way now...

jamessonger

Estimable
Oct 17, 2014

Ihave all the units plugged into the mixer. I'm confused when I turn that channel on (reel-reel) I can't hear the cassette , cd or turntable!!

makkem

Distinguished
So you have the outputs of the cd,cassette and turntable plugged into their own input channels of the mixer and the output of the mixer plugged into the input of the reel to reel.
There are a couple of things you could do to monitor the cd etc.

Plug your headphones into the mixer and select the required input channel on that channels monitor knob.
Plug your headphones into the reel to reel and monitor the input signal.
Connect a cable between the reel to reel headphone socket and a spare input channel on the mixer then plug your headphones into the mixer and turn up that channels monitor knob,this will allow you to do all the monitoring from the mixer.Note if you do this make sure you have that channel muted or you will get feedback.

jamessonger

Estimable
Oct 17, 2014
makkem, I really appreciate your help on my problem! but my mixer is plugged into my aux on my pre-amp. the reel is plugged into the mixer. I can't understand why I can't record? I have my cd player on channel 3/4 and my reel is on channel 9/10. when I play the cd and put the reel in rec mode nothing records!! the manual of the rx1602 explains nothing to solve my problem, I'm at a total lost. again thank you for trying to help an old stereo head

makkem

Distinguished
To record you will need to have the inputs of the reel to reel plugged in to the outputs of the mixer.ie unplug the mixer outputs from your preamp aux and plug them into the reel to reel.
The output of the reel to reel could then be plugged into the preamp aux so you can listen to the reel to reel on playback.

jamessonger

Estimable
Oct 17, 2014
makkem, I tried what you suggested but without good results. first, I had no sound from my speakers and sound from my mixer earphones. the sound from my reel was minus 10. earphones from reel was very low also. I had to buy phono pre-amps for my turntables. I'm wondering if I might need something like that to make everything work properly!! If you have another suggestion it would be most welcome.

makkem

Distinguished
Right no doubt you have lost the use of the speakers because you have unplugged them from the mixer output to plug the reel to reel in.
If you require the speakers to play the mixer output then you will need two Y cables with speakers on one leg of the Y and reel to reel on the other.
The alternative would be to use a Y cable that has a stereo jack and two mono jack sockets and to plug your speakers into the mono jack sockets then plug the stereo jack into either the mixer or the reel to reel headphone sockets and your headphones into the other one.

Now to levels.
Say you are recording from the cd then turn the level control on the cd channel up until the VU LEDs are just into the red with the master levels at about half way now turn the reel to reel level up until the VUs are similarly just into the red.
This should give you correct levels as both the mixer and the reel to reel will be designed for line level signals,you may however have to lower the channel level and raise the master level if it is still a bit low.

Solution