Being Watched by my boss by software!!!!

dortmund371

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
The tech at my work place installed Web Watcher.http://www.webwatcherkids.com/. It is very sneaky. doesn't show up in registry,task manager and is web based. it is a keylogger and URL grabber. It monitors emails and all web activity.It can even keylog while the pc is not hooked up to the internet then send the data later when internet is activated.

Is there a way to disable the software temporarily while i am using the internet?

Thanks

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Had one of these programs a few years ago, not the one you listed, and the folder with the program files was in C:\Windows so I'd look there. Wouldn't be surprised if the folder was W something. This is where I'd start.

dortmund371

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
i already looked not there although i should look under hidden folders. it is really hidden. I just really need to be able to not be watched temporarily.

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I would guess it appears to be a system folder. My only other is to buy a copy and the instructions will likely tell you how to find it if what ever keys you have to type is not bringing the program up as well as give you access to their support. But $97 is a lot of money and again, if you mess with it, the person monitoring it will know, which likely will make them very unhappy. My suggestions would be to either confront them about this finding out why they're doing it and telling them you want it removed, could get righteous about trust and privacy, or just not do anything they don't want you to do. I work on the assumption that the IT department knows everything I do on the computer at work so I don't do anything but work, nothing personal no matter how innocuous.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I'd suggest trying a rootkitrevealer in case the software hides itself.... or I'd try taking a look at the device manager ; chances are the keylogger is a filter driver running as if it's a piece of hardware.

danmarhk

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007

Yes. The problem is that the company is supervising all the activity of the workers.
This brings out the balance of the benefit of the organization and privacy.
You should ask for permission for a special period, or even fight for more freedom.
This is a better way to tackle the problem in the long run.
If successful, this can bring also mutual trust.
Hope you can make it.

At the same time, I wonder how the monitoring staff can know how the users do something not so related to their work. Do they search for some keywords in the keylog and check if you are having some entertainment during office hour? What about watching some videos on YouTube during lunch break? Is it acceptable.
(I am a student who knows little about the career world.)