Best $100 Studio Headphones for Gaming?

Kingbeast908

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I've been in the market for some new headphones for gaming and don't want to buy another gaming headset. Looking to spend about 100 dollars on some studio headphones that I can use for gaming/music listening. I was going to get the Audio Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Headphones but I also like to listen to music and I have had second thoughts about these headphones. I like to play first person shooters and listen to metal, I would also prefer open because I spend more time on games than listening to music. I would like a headset that doesn't need an amp but I am willing to look into cheaper amps if necessary.

Solution
ad700x is more treble/mid focused and has wide soundstage so it would be great for gaming. as long as you arent expecting deep bass its fine for music listening. keep in mind that bass covers footsteps so the more bass you want the less advantage you will have in gaming. they are comfortable if you like the headband design.

hd558 is more neutral with a little more bass and less treble response than the 700x. not as wide of a soundstage but still more than decent. also a good choice.

the 668b is a decent budget headphone though likely the above would be a better choice for you.

you shouldnt need an amplifier, at most a decent soundcard.
ad700x is more treble/mid focused and has wide soundstage so it would be great for gaming. as long as you arent expecting deep bass its fine for music listening. keep in mind that bass covers footsteps so the more bass you want the less advantage you will have in gaming. they are comfortable if you like the headband design.

hd558 is more neutral with a little more bass and less treble response than the 700x. not as wide of a soundstage but still more than decent. also a good choice.

the 668b is a decent budget headphone though likely the above would be a better choice for you.

you shouldnt need an amplifier, at most a decent soundcard.

Solution