Best and Worst Laptop Brands 2016

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JasmineJasmine

Estimable
Jan 21, 2016
I had bought an asus laptop 3weeks later the motherboard quit working I sent it to have replaced they mailed it back,a day later it did it again mailed it again and this time they didn't give me back my charger back a week later it did it again so I sent it to a place and it's the product key they put the wrong product key so I got stuck with a defect laptop omg I will never buy it ever again I was robbed for my money those people at asus don't care all they want is to rob you blind do not ever buy this product EVER! pff

zarawatsonn

Estimable
Jan 19, 2016
Currently I am using Sony Vaio and Acer both are quite good, In my opinion Toshiba is the worst laptop brand, When ever I used, it always dissapoint me.

spruce11

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
I've ever used ASUS and Acer's business laptop, MSI gaming laptop, and Toshiba laptop.According to my own experience, ASUS and Acer were just ok to use, becasue the heating and hot air sometimes worried me. MSI was generally good and I had fun playing with the gaming features, such as keyboard light color, modes, nahimic...it's just fun for me, although it's quite powerful. Toshiba was my first laptop, and I was counting on its very light weight to bring with for the school assignments, and now MAC takes its place. If I'm gonna buy a Windows laptop, and if I still have bunch of time to enjoy gaming, I may more incline to MSI, and maybe consider a bit Alienware.

FlorenceFiona

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016
i am fond of Fujitsu. i have used 2 laptops already. mind blowing service, what's the position of the Brand. can anyone tell me please?

GPUs4CommonMan

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
I wish HP and msi were the top 2. I have always used lenovo (IBM), and dell. Dell is the absolute worst m8s. Lenovo is more or less in the middle. Apple is too overpriced for having poor Chinese workers blood on their products. May God have mercy on China and I hope they find their spiritual side. Btw...there should be custom brands too, like Eurocom, XOTIC PC, maingear etc...

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Well all laptops are made in CHina or Taiwan. Dell, Apple, Lenovo and MSI are the OEM's. Compal Quanta, Clevo, Wistron and Foxconn are the ODM's which manufacture the laptops. Quanta makes model for Dell and Apple. The OEM's also use multiple ODM's as one brand might be made my Wistron and another by Compal for the same OEM. Basically the custom brand your talking about Compal and Clevo do alot of there type of PC's where they manufacture barbones the the Sagers, Eurocom and Maingears purchase and add components and put their brand on them. XoticPC is a system integrator company that configures laptops from multiple companies mostly for high performance gaming. XoticPC isn't a brand but sales multi brands of laptops.

Nikita79

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
MSI is continuously getting improved, as I know the readers using MSI laptop gave MSI a very Apple-Like rating in 2016 by PC Mag. I have a GE laptop as my first gaming laptop, what I experience is no overheating issue, silence, great appearance of mussel line, which I love so much! With its perfect performances, MSI worth it!!

But... Dell.. I will try to understand why it ranked that high...(I don't have a great experience with its Inspiron......)

BadActor

Estimable
Herald
Having worked on many laptops over the years, I can say pretty confidently the list is dead on as far as rankings go. For me, HP has always been the one with quality control issues and have seen one class action suit against them for poor motherboard soldering. And even though I'm not a fan of Dell the company, I have to begrudgingly admit they make a decent laptop for the money. Just learn to speak Hindi if you need support.

mcarthurdw

Commendable
May 18, 2016
I fail to see how DELL could rank second. From my experience, DELL has the worst most expensive Laptops I have ever had the misfortune to own. (DELL XPS 15 9530 with 4K Touch screen) this laptop ha had issues from the time I opened the box, first random video driver crashes and the AC Adapter failed and last after two motherboard replacements it won't even power on. DELL support is abysmal, all you get are excuses and a run around. ASUS is okay as long as you don't go for their lower end line, at work we use Lenovo X1 Carbons that seem to work and hold up well.

emanuelbucsa

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016
From personal experience I can say that Toshiba earned its place as the last of the bunch. I still cannot get over their past plasticky builds.

Haven't had the "pleasure" of trying a Macbook yet since my new OS of choice is Ubuntu, but from what I understand Mac OS is also dev-friendly. Their price tags is another story altogether.

I remember owning a Sony Vaio in the past that performed quite well, but I guess Sony isn't making laptops anymore.

Also, I've worked on Lenovo, HP and MSI laptops, and always found these to be quite reliable and durable. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Sony sold the brand. The laptops are probably being made by the same ODMs as they always were.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_laptop_brands_and_manufacturers#Original_design_manufacturers_.28ODMs.29

The only Sony VAIO laptops I know were actually made by Sony were the top of the line Z series. They were designed by Sony in Japan, and initially manufactured in Japan with later production being done in Mexico. The design and manufacturing for other models were outsourced to ODMs, just like pretty much every other laptop "brand" does it.

jrgsr70

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

I have always bought and used Toshiba laptops and have very good luck with them. Not so with their Toshiba website, of which they closed recently. I bought from that website at different times. Mistakes were made on the site concerning what each laptop was equipped and when I tried to order, they would not stand behind what was posted on their sale site. I also find their products hard to find compared to other brands. They also have cheapened their laptops down compared to what was produced a few years back. I only wish they would get back in the game and produce good products and take care of their customers that buy their products.

TRENDING THREADS