Best Buy Threatens Priest's ''God Squad'' Car

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SofaKingWeird

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008
Wow, at first when I read this I was pissed at Bestbuy for even thinking this was the same. But then I remembered, isn't Bestbuy the same company that let an employee go for putting up a video mocking iPhone vs EVO phone users. He never even mentioned where he works or even makes fun of Bestbuy in the cartoon. So for me I already dislike Bestbuy, they are a bunch of capitalist pigs with way too much power and someday the tick of Karma will swing there way only to make room for the next replacement. I’m still irritated that Bestbuy has driven all the competition away, but when you want to find some music (Some of us still prefer CD’s over digital downloads) they don’t carry it in store but would be happy to ship it for a nominal fee. Case in point was the new “Playing For Change – LIVE” I ended up going to Barnes and Noble because Bestbuy is too lame to carry the CD in there retail stores. I keep hearing about how CD sales are down, but I think it’s because of lousy marketing by capitalist pigs like Bestbuy. When you rely on stupid retailers for your income this is what you get. Bring back music retail stores like Tower Records already, because I for one prefer CD’s over digital downloads.

Then there is a part of me that chuckled when I was first read this, then the word KARMA popped into my head. Wow, could God and Bestbuy be in communication? Could they be planning a swift kick in the a$$ to those who have paid out millions and hidden the kiddie diddlers from prosecution of the laws that protect children? You have to wonder how many million were spent hiding these pedophiles? Just think of all the things you could do with millions, like actually feeding hungry homeless people or other Godly type activities. Part of me snickers at just the thought of that, but then that bring up so many more questions. What are the communicating with? iPhone, Droid or is it a Mac and PC thing. I guess for me I really don’t care for either one but there is a part of me that actually hopes the Catholic priest wins this one. Unless - 1) Bestbuy has the exclusive with VW and they’re the only one that can buy the Bug now. 2) Bestbuy owns the font that was used. 3) Bestbuy owns the word Sqaud. (WOW, can you imagine the impact on NFL Football if they could no longer say practice squad?)

So the only real winner here I see are the lawyers. They’ll be laughing all the way to the bank, only in America will you see Bestbuy VS God. Coming to a court near you.

buckinbottoms

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]Absolutely wrong wanna-be legal advisor.[/citation]
Sorry but you are wrong. I have a company that is similarly named as two other companies. One tried to sue and failed. We are in different industries and the legal grounds were found baseless.

In reality there are millions of businesses out there and only so many catch phrases and logos before things will inevitably look similar. We also have parody rulings that allow some play on original ideas to use as your own.

Thats just the way it is, get over it.

Lets settle things down a bit and not have any more personal attacks please.

Otherwise I'll start surgically removing posts ... then not so surgically removing users' last 5 posts ... then I will start sending people on short holidays from the forums when I get sick of editing.

Do me a favour please, and be courteous to other users.

Argue your point ... but simply do it without insulting or flaming other users.

I tend to agree personally with JK ... meh.

G

The geek-squad employees are for the most part, skilled in their trade. It is the BB policy, and rip-off schemes that should change the name from 'Geek Squad', to 'Consumer Hi-Jack Squad'. Have you ever seen an invoice for a power supply change? I could buy a XEON server for that money! albeit, the geek squad emplyee would be 'smarter' to work elsewhere. Like cutting grass.

applegotmelaid

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Just one of the many reasons why I quit working at Best Buy when I was a youngster. They have no integrity. I hope God makes their stock plummet.

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
land of the free my a**...if your not getting sued your going to jail....church has corrupted the goverment and freedom of religion is a joke when just being a muslim makes you a target...oh not to mention the big f you they give to mexicans after sustaining american companies for years (cant deny that, auto and agriculter owes a lot to mexicans)

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
I've always hated Best Buy. From their ridiculous return policies to their overpriced merchandise (compared to Circuit City) and their NON-price matching. I'll never buy anything from them that's available at Newegg.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]JWL3[/nom]I'll never buy anything from them that's available at Newegg.[/citation]
And if it's not on Newegg you will?
Stick to your principles, dont buy from them ever
Find an alternate somewhere else on the web

G

Geek squad,God squad!
I'm sure there are plenty of other Squads out there!
bestbuy licensing their squadsquad name prevents any other organization to come up with the name.
Besides, noone knows what geek squad is anyways.
Bestbuy should stick their thumbs in their asses and shut up!

G

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Boy is that low.... BestBuy execs have a few screws loose. You figure BestBuy would like it since when someone see's it they obviously think OF BestBuy. What a bunch of idiots.[/citation]
I obviously don't, and the majority of the world absolutely don't even have the slightest clue about geeksquad and bestbuy.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I understand why the priest would not want to waste money fighting this in court, even though he could easily win. That would be worse publicity for the church than it is for Best Buy, when the money could be put use for so many more worthy things.

But on the other hand, a redesigned logo approved by BB itself will lack any similarity to the Geek Squad logo and so no one will take notice of it. That was kind of the whole point of having the logo on his car in the first place.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Think of it this way guys. Hear of all the Church scandals over the past few years? you know why people target the Catholic Church? look around you, which organization has the most money and is the largest. Yep you guessed right. Everyone wants their hand in the cookie jar even if it is not morally correct or proper. And whatever sleazy way to milk some money out of the Church.

On the other hand, maybe it is better if they had a different logo because the casual observer, especially a non-Christian one (it is fine to be non-Christian, btw I'm not saying otherwise so don't assume that much) will just think that it is another Geek Squad car and move along without really paying a lot of attention to the logo.

G

If you don't defend a trademark, you can easily lose it. They don't really have much of a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.