Best Buy Toshiba laptop for $249. Chipset? Worth it?

Best Buy Laptop for 249 after thanksgiving...worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only if its not upgraded

• Only if it is upgraded

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Only for grandma

• Only for cheap geeks

• Total voters

the_taker

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Okay, I'm turning to my fellow forum members for help. I have been researching this laptop for hours, trying to figure out what chipset is in this, so that ultimately, I could put in a better processor, perhaps pentium-m or Core/core 2 duo.

The Black Friday add for after thanksgiving is here:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat104300050017&type=category
The Toshiba laptop for 250:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=1158317794220&skuId=8103535&type=product

This laptop seems to exist only marginally according to Toshiba, so i'm having trouble finding out what chipset is inside. I have done a few hours of searching with no results. Does anyone have any insight? The closest I got was a user manual that may or may not be for ANY L35 model notebook. Trying to search for drivers, manuals, etc from toshiba's site doesn't yield any L35 models.

I know all about the integrated graphics/shared memory, which doesn't bother me, because it will be for basic computing and movie watching at home and on the road for me and my wife. I was however hoping I could bump up the processor and RAM and maybe even a faster RPM Hard Drive someday (saving money on the laptop cost right now). At that point I would use it for basic gaming, some RTS, etc.

Gotta be at the store at 5am on friday morning, so I have to determine if it's worth it before then.

thanks for any help!!!

mrmako

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Do it. The processor is problably a socket 478. Go to Intel.com and look at what the processor is and that will tell you.

2 Gb HD and fat HD make it a steal for under $600.....

the_taker

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
well i waited outside best buy all night to try to get this laptop and a camcorder, but i wasn't able to get the laptop. grr...stupid line skippers. thanks for the input...if I can find another laptop that is 400 series Celeron, I looked up further info on the X200m chipset and it does support up to the Core 2 duo procs.

let me know if any sub-400 deals come along!