Best cheap laptop for external GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay_Ton_1

Prominent
Mar 7, 2017
Everyone else is asking what GPU to get for their laptop to create an eGPU system, but I'm in the market for a new computer, and I was wondering if there are certain laptops that have worked really well for people in the past who have created such systems. I know Razer and others have created laptops specifically for this, but they're way too expensive, and everything about their eGPUs is proprietary. (They're really nice, though)

For reference, I am considering selling my Toshiba Satellite S55t-A5161.

For non-gaming purposes, my current 8GB of RAM and i7 4700MQ work well enough to run the coding programs and 3D modeling programs I frequently use. However, the 1366x768 resolution is sub-par for any use, and the Nvidia 740M struggles to cut the mustard in gaming applications.

The idea in my head is to get a mainstream laptop with a good processor and display that is optimal for the creation of an external GPU system.

Referencing the questions given in the "Buying a new laptop?" thread, I am considering the following, with the goal of being cheaper than a dedicated gaming laptop, i.e. three figures:
-15.6" screen or so, 1920 x 1080 display
-Battery life is not a priority, a couple of hours is enough
-Games would ideally only be used through the eGPU
-HDD is fine, with 1 TB preferred (SSD would likely be budget-prohibitive)
-This would definitely be a laptop to last me for a while to come
-8GB RAM is fine, ability to expand later to 16GB would be incredible
-Nothing incredible on the eGPU front; there are a lot more resources out there for me to reference with respect to that.
-It sounds like a Thunderbolt connection is a good way to connect the eGPU, especially if I want to use the laptop monitor to game (I do).
-I live in the U.S.; easy access to service

The first and foremost question is whether or not what I want is possible at all. On the off-chance it is, what laptop would be recommended for creation of an eGPU system?

Edit: Thunderport 3s are super expensive. Forget that bit.

Solution
What you are doing does not exist if you don't want a thunderbolt port or paying for a laptop with an existing external video card dock.

The ribbon cable external video card connections need a cable hanging out of the system connected to an mSATA connector and only run at 1x PCIe speeds, and need an external power supply sitting out somewhere to power the video card.

Get a laptop with a 1060 or 1070 video card, done. They would all have quad core i5 or i7 CPUs. If you don't care much about heavy duty gaming, 1050 card is lots faster than your 740M.
What you are doing does not exist if you don't want a thunderbolt port or paying for a laptop with an existing external video card dock.

The ribbon cable external video card connections need a cable hanging out of the system connected to an mSATA connector and only run at 1x PCIe speeds, and need an external power supply sitting out somewhere to power the video card.

Get a laptop with a 1060 or 1070 video card, done. They would all have quad core i5 or i7 CPUs. If you don't care much about heavy duty gaming, 1050 card is lots faster than your 740M.

Solution

Clay_Ton_1

Prominent
Mar 7, 2017

Thanks. I figured it was a long shot. I'm just hesitant about getting a dedicated "gaming laptop" because, besides the weight and price, there's a stigma around them, and they're not the most professional thing to be carrying around.
However, I have seen some new laptops coming out with the newer 1050's that look professional and aren't super expensive. Thanks for the suggestion.

Clay_Ton_1

Prominent
Mar 7, 2017

Thanks for the suggestion. That does look good for the price. Is that your recommendation as far as sites for shopping online?

If I were in the market for a professional looking laptop that is capable of playing games, then I would buy a Dell XPS 15 with an i5-7300HQ and GTX 1050. The thin bezel makes this 15.6" laptop the size of an average 14" laptop and weighs in at 4lbs and it also has pretty good battery life of approximately 9 hours with average usage based on reviews. However, the XPS series is Dell's premium line so this configuration costs $1,250.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-15-9560-laptop

I like xoticpc because they have a very good sorting utility, lots of laptops and they are easy to compare. They also have many custom options as far as what storage to get, RAM, even things like better thermal paste for the heatsinks. I've never ordered from them, and of course as a moderator it's not a choice done for any real bias, I just find it easier to find systems on their site and they have customization for the systems they sell that I have not seen in other places.

Clay_Ton_1

Prominent
Mar 7, 2017
I found the Dell Inspiron 15 i7559-5012GRY Signature Edition on sale for $350 off at the Microsoft Store. For only $750, I'm definitely going with that for 4K display, 960M graphics, professional look, and really easy modification ability down the road. Literally an upgrade in every facet for a really great deal.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS