Best choice for headphones, primarily used for gaming?

NoNameAvailable

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016
I was considering going with the Sennheiser HD 579's, but then found the HD 598's for cheaper.

Could anybody give any advice/have any experience with either of these headphones?

I will be mainly using these headphones for watching shows and playing fps games on Pc. I have studio monitors and a couple pairs of closed back headphones for music, so my primary concern is how well the positional audio will work.

Also, if somebody feels they could advise a better pair of headphones, then feel free.
Thanks

Solution
Unfortunately I haven't used those. In part, you're correct. I've always found that a pair of open ear headphones have a more natural sound, similar to that of a pair of well positioned room speakers. I can tell you that those ATH-AD700Xs do have some good reviews and what-not. I've got a pair of open-backed HD600, and I find them to be spectacular. They're a little more expensive but well worth it!

ust4ever

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
I know that Audio-Technica make some amazing headphones. Have a look at anything from the ATH-M line. The ATH-M50Xs are very popular, and I've heard great things about those. Let me know if you need more help.

NoNameAvailable

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016
I was actually considering a pair of audio technicas, but from what I understand the closed back headphones like the mh50x's generally don't have the positional audio that you'd get with a pair of open back?
I may be wrong.

Have you had any experience with the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X?

ust4ever

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Unfortunately I haven't used those. In part, you're correct. I've always found that a pair of open ear headphones have a more natural sound, similar to that of a pair of well positioned room speakers. I can tell you that those ATH-AD700Xs do have some good reviews and what-not. I've got a pair of open-backed HD600, and I find them to be spectacular. They're a little more expensive but well worth it!

Solution

ust4ever

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013

Nothing competitive, but I do game with them quite a lot, and they work great for gaming.

ChrisTCP

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
Sennheiser hd598(or generally the 5xx series) with an (sub)optimal soundcard/dac-amp and an antlion modmic would be the best bang for the buck for both gaming and music listening. For even cheaper, you can grab a pair of philips shp9500.