best devices for travel

wooz6481

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
When I am at the airport, I can use my phone as usual for internet access, but my tablet (asus) won't connect to the wifi without paying/password, etc. Are there any devices, like a kindle fire, that do allow you to connect to wifi in that type of situation without having to pay? Would I be able to use an iPod touch's wifi in that situation?

Thanks.

Solution
I believe what you describing is using your phone as a WiFi hotspot so that your tablet can connect to the internet (3G / 4G / LTE) via your phone. Unfortunately, cellphone companies will charge you a monthly fee that that particular feature if the phone supports hotspots.

You can try a program called PDAnet for tablets to create a tether from your phone to the tablet. Both tablet and phone must be Android though. I used a different variant for my laptop so that I can access the internet on my laptop using my Android phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pdanet.tablet2&hl=en

There are other similar apps as well.
I believe what you describing is using your phone as a WiFi hotspot so that your tablet can connect to the internet (3G / 4G / LTE) via your phone. Unfortunately, cellphone companies will charge you a monthly fee that that particular feature if the phone supports hotspots.

You can try a program called PDAnet for tablets to create a tether from your phone to the tablet. Both tablet and phone must be Android though. I used a different variant for my laptop so that I can access the internet on my laptop using my Android phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pdanet.tablet2&hl=en

There are other similar apps as well.

Solution

Flaco05

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
You can also get a 7 inch tablet that doubles up as a phone. I bought an unlocked, GSM capable Galaxy tab for my trip to Europe last year and used it as a phone, GPS, and tablet for general browsing purposes. Just popped in a cheap pre-paid sim card in it and bingo. You can probably get one for $250-300 these days.