Best external hdd for gaming?

GorillaWithAGun

Estimable
Nov 4, 2015
Hi, i recently purchase an aorus x3 pro v3 and have run out of room on the internals. I am looking for a $0-$200 preferably 2tb but minimum 1tb external hdd. Is there any point spending big bucks trying to buy a faster hdd or will the speed of USB3.0 limit the speed? What is the best external hdd i can get for gaming given all of these? thanks.

Solution
Tough choice since there isn't a gaming grade category in the HDD world. Get anything that has a bare minimum of 7200RPM and IS NOT a green drive from WD, USB 3.0 is good since sata 3 and USB 3 have the exact same bandwidth limits.
Tough choice since there isn't a gaming grade category in the HDD world. Get anything that has a bare minimum of 7200RPM and IS NOT a green drive from WD, USB 3.0 is good since sata 3 and USB 3 have the exact same bandwidth limits.

Solution

GorillaWithAGun

Estimable
Nov 4, 2015

Okay, so really anything with USB 3.0 that's sata 3 and 7200RPM? I've heard WD black drives are good yet i found a cheap Seagate drive, would you recommend either brand or is there no difference?

Ok Go

Estimable
May 23, 2015
just use a 7200 rpm 3.5" hdd(for desktop) and use a external HDD caddy/bracket/adaper that has usb3 connection. there will be more clutter since those caddies ussualy needs external power to run.

WD blacks are good or any seagate drives as well. I have had both, and both run very fast.