Best gaming headphone open-back...need help

kashim

Estimable
Sep 25, 2014
hi,i m italian pc gamer i have a steelseries siberia v2,i played with it for 1 year and now hate it,no much comfy and hate closed design,not great sound and accuracy...i wanna upgrade to headphone + mic + soundcard...i m watching for the best headphone in 200 euro,the headphone is for gaming 100% (i m competitive player wanna use it for 80%competitive multiplayer games like cod cs go or bf4 and 20% single player)not interessed for music or other ^^
the headphone requirements:
1)open-back
2)best soundstage possible and positional accuracy
3)great sound quality,don t wanna sacrifice all immersivity,if one bomb explode near me i don t wanna listen bam....wanna listen booom :) understand?immersivity and fun audio (sorry for my bad english :p)
4)comfort i need headphone for play like 2/4/5h in a raw when i can,and don t wanna break my head :D

i m looking ad700x dt990 pro hd598 akg k612 hd681evo,if u have better headphone for me or one of this is a better choice tell me and help me to take better headphone in my budget :)

Solution
equalizer can affect the sound output, yes. HOWEVER, the ad700x is physically incapable of producing deep bass.

you could push more mid bass out of the ad700x perhaps but its not going to make them bassy.

you could however subdue the treble on the dt990 quite easily without issue.

instead of wasting money on a soundcard like that just use the creative z and get a decent mic. perhaps the modmic if you wanted a boom.
well i can tell you a few things about them...

the ad700x and ad900x are going to be very bass light. some bassheads even say they dont have any bass at all which is because they only have mid-tone bass and not low level bass. they do however have the biggest soundstage out of the headphones you listed and great positional audio.

akg headphones in general tend to lack bass in much the same way. they can at times be considered very "bright" (too much treble).

the hd598 has less soundstage but has a hint more bass presence than the first few. its soundstage is still very good though.

the hd558 (not listed) is a more bassy version of the 598 but without as big of a soundstage and slightly worse clarity.

the dt990 has more bass presence than the prior few while keeping a wide soundstage. it also has rather good highs but some may say they are a bit bright.

beyerdynamic headphones are known for comfort. the dt990 paired up with either an amplifier or soundcard (at minimum a xonar dg/dgx but suggested a creative z) will work great if its in budget.

kashim

Estimable
Sep 25, 2014
ty man for the help,dt990 have a good soundstage and accuracy without sacrifice sound and quality?can u tell me who have better soundstage?
like this
ad700 > akg > hd598 >dt990?
or dt990 have better soundstage and positional audio?sorry for this question but i want understand :)
how much i lose if buy dt990 vs ad700x in accuracy and positional audio?

kashim

Estimable
Sep 25, 2014
i m looking akg k701 too is more expensive,near 200 but isn t a problem...200 euro is only for headphone :p..some people tel me dt990 aren t so good for competitive fps and akg or ad700x are really better,please help me :??:

the ad700x or ad900x will have the most open (wide) soundstage and the best positional audio.

however they have VERY poor bass. poor enough that some call them bass-less headphones since their bass response is limited to only mid-bass only. if you want or need any deeper bass response they arent ideal but if you dont care then they are fine.

the ad900x has just a bit more bass than the ad700x (but they are still really bass light).

i'm not sure about soundstaging... but the akg headphones are also extremely bass light. they can also be very bright or piercing with the highs if such things bother you.

the dt990pro may not have as wide of a soundstage as the ad series has, but it is still rather wide and certainly fine for gaming. positional audio is also good. it will also have fairly decent bass levels for an open set of cans.

the hd598 will have between the bass of the ad700x and dt990, similar soundstaging as the 990, perhaps a bit less bright on the highs as the dt990 can be but are an oval design which might not have the comfort or fit as many ear styles/glasses as the dt990 or ad700x/900x are known for.

--

to sum it up:

somthing like the dt990 will be much more "immersive" and "fun". you will enjoy the game sounds much more and it will have a feel of quality. the dt990pro will need a soundcard or amplifier to power them.

something like the ad700x or ad900x will NOT be as "fun" and certainly not "immersive" however the lack of bass might allow you to more easily pick up on other game clues such as faint footsteps. they also arent going to take much power to drive so an amp or soundcard is optional.

you need to decide... do you want to enjoy sound more or perhaps have a very slight edge in picking up faint noises?

kashim

Estimable
Sep 25, 2014
i need for gaming and a lot of time i play competitive match 80%fps online 20% single player game,i sure buy a soundcard like phoebus or soundblaster zx with audio control and microfone,have a better directional audio,then is better
ad700x + soundcard
dt990 + soundcard
akg + soundcard
with equalizer i can have more bass (on ad700)and less bass (on dt990) right?if u choce betwen this combination for gaming 80% fps multiplayer game like cod bf and cs go and 20% single player games what do you pick? i have 300 euro total for headphone soundcard and microfone

equalizer can affect the sound output, yes. HOWEVER, the ad700x is physically incapable of producing deep bass.

you could push more mid bass out of the ad700x perhaps but its not going to make them bassy.

you could however subdue the treble on the dt990 quite easily without issue.

instead of wasting money on a soundcard like that just use the creative z and get a decent mic. perhaps the modmic if you wanted a boom.

Solution

kashim

Estimable
Sep 25, 2014
ty so much for the reply and the help bro!mmm i m looking now for dt990 akg k701 akgk612 and hd598,the ad700x is so much focused on competitive gam,i like and love the soundstage and the accuracy,,,wanna found a headphone with a soundstage like it but with more immersion,quality and complete sound...dt990 is more for single player games because have little soundstage and not great accuracy for positional audio,,,akg 612 and 701 have great soundstage with better bass than ad700...what is best for me?