Best Gaming headphones for under 120?

ferwindjacks

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
So I bought a pair of Steelseries Siberia V2 Frost Blue headset LE and they'd be great but are not very comfortable on my head. So I'm looking for a new pair. I'm thinking of either getting a pair of "gaming" headsets such as the Logitech G35 or Corsair 1500. However, I'd definitely look into getting a good pair of cans with either a clip on mic or something of the like. I know Sennheiser is really good, but I don't know which pair and what would fit into my price range. These will be used for gaming mostly, and casual listening to music. Could I get some suggestions?

Solution
Ok, well do you need a microphone on the headphones?
You are right also, brands like Sennheiser are much better than "gaming" headsets.

The Siberia V2's are great, but the audio quality is not good compared to lets say, SRH 440's, which are about $100.
I don't recommend you go with "gaming" headsets. You can get audiophile quality headsets for the same price which are all around better.

For $120 I would recommend SRH 440's with 840 pads, I've ordered them myself and with the 840 pads, they are great.
This will come out to $115. You can save up and eventually buy a desktop or clip on mic if you wish...

AgentTran

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
Ok, well do you need a microphone on the headphones?
You are right also, brands like Sennheiser are much better than "gaming" headsets.

The Siberia V2's are great, but the audio quality is not good compared to lets say, SRH 440's, which are about $100.
I don't recommend you go with "gaming" headsets. You can get audiophile quality headsets for the same price which are all around better.

For $120 I would recommend SRH 440's with 840 pads, I've ordered them myself and with the 840 pads, they are great.
This will come out to $115. You can save up and eventually buy a desktop or clip on mic if you wish.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH440-Professional-Studio-Headphones/dp/B002DP1FTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395884463&sr=8-1&keywords=srh+440

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC840-Replacement-Cushions-Headphones/dp/B002Z9JWZS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1395884484&sr=8-3&keywords=srh+840

Good luck!

Solution

ferwindjacks

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Whats wrong with the original Shure pads? Also, a mic on the headset would be convenient, but since all good headphones don't have one I'd need to be able to afford a bundle. Pretty sure Shure and Sennheiser are similar in quality, but everyone swears by Senn. Just want a solid pair of headphones that aren't coiled cord and sound great.

AgentTran

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014

The original Shure pads are ok but not good for really long term use.
I've bought these for general listening, and some gaming. So, I would need more comfort over many hours, 10+ in some cases.

This is why I went with the 840 pads, and if you are going for ultimate comfort and super long hours using it, then you could go for 940 velour pads, but those are expensive. ($50)

ferwindjacks

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
What about the Sennheiser PC360s? Some say these are one of the best gaming headphones, do you have an opinion?
Also seems like everyone says to get some good cans and an external mic, but for the life of me I cannot seem to find one concurrent opinion on what headphones are the best.

AgentTran

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014

Yes, they are alright but they do not compare to non-gaming headsets on Sennheiser's line.
If you're really looking for Audio Quality than you will be looking for a pair of 519's, 558's, and 600's.
Those of course are all probably not in your budget, but for the means of just audio quality, the ones I had suggested a few days earlier would be the best choice. In my opinion, because they're closed, and this isolates noise. Plus, they're good for the price.