Best Headphones for £80

TheLoneWolf989

Distinguished
May 10, 2013
Budget Strictly £80
Source On-board mobo audio
Type Preferably full-size

I need headphones for music listening within my home. I mostly listen to rap, classic rock and country. I currently use HD 518s which have a nice neutral signature, so I'm looking for something similar, maybe with more bass.

Solution
the hd518's you already have are one of the better choices for your budget, especially if you want a neutral sound without getting bass-light or too bass heavy.
if you wanted to improve them with more bass i would suggest either trying a cheap fiio amplifier or modding them.

if you wanted improvment without doing the above, i'd suggest advancing to the next tier of headphones (100-150gbp range) but it seems that is not an option
the hd518's you already have are one of the better choices for your budget, especially if you want a neutral sound without getting bass-light or too bass heavy.
if you wanted to improve them with more bass i would suggest either trying a cheap fiio amplifier or modding them.

if you wanted improvment without doing the above, i'd suggest advancing to the next tier of headphones (100-150gbp range) but it seems that is not an option

Solution

TheLoneWolf989

Distinguished
May 10, 2013

How about the Grado SR60e?

Palewing

Estimable
May 9, 2015

TheLoneWolf989

Distinguished
May 10, 2013

I've tried the 598s and I can say that they are bad for what you pay. The 5X8 line uses the same drivers and the only difference being ear cup design. This leads to the 598s having amazing treble but practically no bass, the 518s having a decent amount of bass at the expense of the highs and the 558s land inbetween.

A different sound is somewhat what I'm after and that is why I'm inquiring about the Grado SR60e.

Palewing

Estimable
May 9, 2015
Not having tried the Grados, I can't tell you about them any better than you reading about them on head-fi would. But have you tried a good equalizer software? For music and movies, this could make a big difference. A decent amplifier would probably help with getting the headphones enough power to have a good response. I have never heard an integrated sound solution that sounded good. Asus has a few good soundcards, internal and external, that might be worth looking at. They cost more than £80, though.