Best Headphones for gaming?

bak3sy

Estimable
Jun 27, 2014
Ok so i am looking for the best possible pair of headphones for gaming. Price is not really an issue but certain price points would be appreciated. I am ultimately looking for a pair of cans that specialize im producing frequencies between 85-400hz so high bass and low mids, as i found that these were the most commonly used sound range for footsteps in games. Another key aspect im looking for is soundstage and positional audio. Comfort can be adjusted later so that is a non issue at this point. Pin point audio is key and i would like the best of the best. So if you have any recommendations that fit this description or come close to it then that would be much appreciated! thank you in advance

Solution

Are you sure about that? I would venture to guess most games stick above 256Hz (C). The commonly recommended sets (AD500X and HD518 lines) should work just fine in that range, and are open for larger soundstage and better positional audio

As for comments about positional audio and soundcards, that all depends on your game. If the game is properly developed like BF4 and offers headphone settings, that will always be the best setting and the soundcard has nothing to do with it. Only for crappy games that don't offer proper headphone support should you ever use soundcard based...

TbsToy

Estimable
Oct 19, 2015
Get the best quality headphones you can afford. The audiophile stuffs are best as "gaming headphones" are just marketing for $s. Sennheiser HD series are high quality sound output.
W.P.

audie-tron25

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015
Senhessier headphones typically emphasize the bass but are meant to squash the treble a bit so look out for that. Another thing, make sure you don't get their basic stuff. I bought pair of HD 451's and they were rubbish.

Also consider getting a sound card, they do wonders over your onboard in relation to 3D placement (I know I'll get trash talked because DAC's are "better" but when gaming, sound cards are the way to go, even a cheapy like a Xonar DG). It'll depend on what you already have though. If you already have a sound card or DAC, don't worry about it then.

Are you sure about that? I would venture to guess most games stick above 256Hz (C). The commonly recommended sets (AD500X and HD518 lines) should work just fine in that range, and are open for larger soundstage and better positional audio

As for comments about positional audio and soundcards, that all depends on your game. If the game is properly developed like BF4 and offers headphone settings, that will always be the best setting and the soundcard has nothing to do with it. Only for crappy games that don't offer proper headphone support should you ever use soundcard based mixing!

Solution

guanyu210379

Distinguished
On the headphone, you need only sound quality (preferably the a wee bit bassy types and not the flat type) and sound stage characteristic.
The surround effects and sound directions are only software emulated.
ATH-M50, V-Moda M100, etc. are examples of those good headphones which are also good for gaming.

bak3sy

Estimable
Jun 27, 2014
im not 100% sure because my testing was not very extensive or profession. But small samples of running in games like bf4 and cs go which i recorded with audacity and graphed the ranged showed footsteps to be most prevalent between roughly 100-400hz. Obviously this isnt perfect and i wouldnt exactly be comfortable recommending my findings to anyone else but as i couldnt find any answers on that subject myself ill just go off what my sketchy testing says.