Best Hi quality headphones for $100?

paradoxeternal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Hi, I've recently begun to explore the confusing world of high-end audio, and after suggestions on overclock.net, decided to buy the ASUS Xonar DX sound card. I'm getting a pair of dayton speakers and amp, but since i mainly prefer a headset/headphones, i wanted to invest most of my money into that area.

I'm currently using the Astro A30s, which i'm told aren't that great. I've never had any problems with the sound although i've never been impressed either-- the biggest problem with them is that they get uncomfortable after an hour or two, probably because they are on-ear. they don't sound amazing and i'm not even an audiophile.

I wanted to get studio headphones since they are much better soundwise than "gaming" headsets. These headphones will be used primarily for gaming but also for a decent amount of music as well. I basically wanted the absolute best bang for the buck in the 50-100 $$ price range. If there are headphones out there that are maybe like 20-30 $ more expensive that are REALLY worth it, i could stretch the budget a bit.

I'm looking at the Audiotechnica ATH-AD700s. They seem to be pretty good but i've read that they aren't too good for bass and for music in general; anyone have any thoughts on this?

Your help is appreciated.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Look at Senheiser headphones and Koss.