Best image possible between my HDTV and PC?

Abhimanyu

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I recently bought a 42" HDTV (CU 42HC56) which has a resolution of 1920 X 1080. My PC has a Geforce 9800 1 Gb card which has two DVI outputs.
I am using the DVI-HDMI converter that came with my card to attach my PC to my TV. When I do this, the best resolution I can use is 1600 X 900, after which there are two other settings that either make the image too 'sharp' (jagged edges on icons etc.) or take the picture outside of the screen.
When I was just using a monitor, I could have my desktop settings at 1680 X 1050 (or something close). Is this just a question of my TV's capabilities? Shouldn't I be able to get a higher resolution since both my card and TV are capable of more?
Also, when I have the HDMI connection, my NVidia TV setup only gives me up to 1080i as an option. Is this because I can't get the 1080 resolution? Is 16** X 1080 automatically 1080P?
I really apologise for any mistakes or non-clarity, but I am very new to this and all of what I have done so far has been on the basis of forums and the like.
Thanks!

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006

Not sure what TV that is, but I would check the owner's manual on connecting it to a PC. Some TVs like my Pioneer prefer certain HDMI inputs to be used with a PC, or else have a separate RGB input (which I don't recommend since that is analog - your PC would convert to analog and the TV reconvert to digital - best to keep it all digital). These HDMI inputs may have a separate audio input so that you can connect your soundcard or onboard audio output from your PC to the TV speakers, if you want.

It seems as Windows is not seeing the TV's correct resolution. First, make sure the TV is set for "dot for dot" or no scaling for the HDMI input that is connected to your PC. Then go to your system display properties, click the settings tab, and see if you can move the slider to 1920 x 1080 which is 1080p resolution. If not, and you have your pc monitor also connected to the computer, try setting the TV as a second monitor by checking the 'extend my desktop to this monitor" box. Then click on the TV and see if you can now set it to the above resolution.

If that doesn't work, then read this article and download Powerstrip to add the appropriate resolution to your display properties:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/02/08/how-to-connect-your-pc-to-your-hdtv/

Abhimanyu

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Thaks a lot - I'll take a look. My games look great on the setup I have now, but it's the resolution thing that has me confused.

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006

Sure, no problem. BTW, my Pioneer lets me choose overscan or underscan on the HDMI input that is connected to the PC. I use the underscan setting so that the image from the PC exactly fills the TV screen - nothing is cut off and no borders around the image.

Abhimanyu

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009

I think my problem might be my TV. (It's a VU, by the way, some small new company). I don't see any seetings for dot-to-dot or over/underscan. On my Nvidia control panel, I can't choose any of the scaling options (they are all greyed out, with the selection apparently on "let TV scale".

As I said, the picture is great, but I don't understand why I can't get my resolution higher, keeping me from the 1080.

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006

Hmm, in that case I would google for a solution or else go to VU's website and see if they have a tech help or user forum that you can pose your question and hopefully get an answer. If this was a fairly cheap TV, then I wouldn't be surprised if they left off a bunch of features.