Best internal/external soundcard for for 2.1 music playback

rbhack

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017
Looking for the best set up for high quality music with desktop system. I have a pair of Vanatoo Transparent 1's with an optical input. I have been using a desktop with an internal soundcard with an optical output and a good quality optical cable to the Vanatoos. Great sound! I recently had to get a new desktop that only has on-board sound and I'm using a generic analog cable to the speakers. A noticeable downgrade to sound quality. My new desktop is small and has a PCIe X16/X1 half height slot. With a $200 budget and a desire to go back to an optical connection, should I add an internal card like the Asus Xonar DGX That has an optical output or an external option like the Sound Blaster X-Fi HD that also has an optical output?

I appreciate your feedback!

madmatt30

Honorable
Usb 2b cables (which that speaker set uses) are normally heavy guage & shielded anyway because their primary use was always printer & network based.

Using analog cables you're getting a 4 part conversion from digital to analog to digital to analog again.

A USB cable will give a digital signal straight to the speaker dac & a single pass conversion to analog exactly the same as optical.

It should sound the same as it did before but there may be a volume difference at most.

Digital is digital full stop imo.

You surely have an old type 2 cable knocking about ?? (I have hundreds of the things in drawers & cupboards)

rbhack

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017
I do live in the US Lutfij and thanks for the Omega suggestion. Madmatt the speakers do have a usb input but Vanatoo recommends optical for the best quality and music has lost the magic it had in my old set up using a good optical cable. If I try usb is it beneficial to use a higher quality usb cable?

madmatt30

Honorable
Usb 2b cables (which that speaker set uses) are normally heavy guage & shielded anyway because their primary use was always printer & network based.

Using analog cables you're getting a 4 part conversion from digital to analog to digital to analog again.

A USB cable will give a digital signal straight to the speaker dac & a single pass conversion to analog exactly the same as optical.

It should sound the same as it did before but there may be a volume difference at most.

Digital is digital full stop imo.

You surely have an old type 2 cable knocking about ?? (I have hundreds of the things in drawers & cupboards)

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Digital is digital. HDMI, Optical, and USB should offer the same quality as you are pushing the audio processing to some *other* device. Likewise, there is no difference in "quality" of a digital transfer cable; the signal either gets to its destination, or it does not. It's not analog where you actually care about noise in the signal.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HarryGRGamer Audio 0
CatTheMightyLord Audio 0
SupremeEditor Audio 0
B Audio 1
genkoftw Audio 0
Koterko Audio 1
B Audio 3
H Audio 1
M Audio 2
M Audio 1
B Audio 1