Best Laptop docking station for Dell xps 15Z

cnbehler

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
I want to use my XPS 15z as a desktop with minimal connections but I don't completely understand the reply to Shene. The XPS 15z has 3 USB ports – two USB 3.0 and a USB/eSATA combo

I have the following plugged into my current desktop:
- a HP Photosmart Printer (that can probably be used wirelessly)
- an ergonomic keyboard (that isn't available in a bluetooth version)
- two 20 inch monitors (that I may replace with a single 24 inch LED or LCD monitor - any recommendations for this? I'm not a gamer).
- a USB mouse
- speakers (through a USB connection)
- a wireless router
- various USB cords (e.g. iPod, Blackberry)

Since the XPS 15z has a HDMI port, do I need the WiDi?

Please help me understand what I would use to accomplish this (e.g. a hub?)

Thanks!

Shene

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

Been getting stuff for my 15z. First, microsoft makes a ergonomic bluetooth. Unfortunatel it is not qute as big as the standard one they made so it is still a little clumsy for me. Also got a bluetooth mouse but it stopped working and I really do not like thefeel anyway. I tried a usb3 hub and it is junk. with the hub you almost have to unplug and replug every time you wake the computer or it sees nothing. I bought a big sata drive WD Raptor 600 gig as well as a wd 1 teraobyte cavier black and a drive holder from that is real nice. I also got a little desk from staples for about $30 that works great. Mounted a bluray writer and the hard drive under the desk, strapped a power rail on the upright of the desk and it works great. Using a usb mouse and tied the laptop to the network that has my scanner and printers and got desktop control of it to rn programs on it. All good so far! Not sure what a widi is but I got dell to link me thru my home network via my wireless router. which is running with my desktop computer in the basement.