Mar 3, 2015
I am going into computer science and can't decide between two laptops

Lenovo thinkpad yoga 14 with 8gb ram, i5 1.9 ghz processor, 1TB HHD

Or.

MacBook pro 8gb ram, i5 2.6 ghz processor , 256 go flash hard drive

TeddyHolappa

Estimable
Dec 25, 2014
I would go with a macbook air. It has phenomenal battery life and it is extremely portable. You don't need much RAM or CPU power with basic programming. Also, on the Macbook you can get an app called "Coderunner" It is great.

The MBA lacks the screen resolution needed for the myriad of command line, debugging, and editing windows you end up with open as a CS/programming major. Don't bother with it unless you prize portability and battery life above all else.

The two laptops you've listed are very different. The Yoga 14 is convertible to a tablet (I had one for a month before selling it to a friend). If you can wait until May, it's supposed to get options for a pen digitizer if you're planning to do any drawing or artwork. It has a 42mm M.2 slot so you can add a mid-grade SSD to it (current max size is 256GB). If you want a "fast" SSD, I suggest replacing the 2.5" HDD. If you get the version with the 840m GPU, it will smoke the MBP's Iris 5100 graphics, getting roughly 2x the framerate in 3D games.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html?type=&sort=&deskornote=0&or=0&search=&month=&benchmark_values=&gpubenchmarks=0&professional=0&archive=1&dx=0&multiplegpus=0&showClassDescription=0&itemselect_5073=5073&itemselect_4573=4573&condensed=0&showCount=0&showBars=0&showPercent=0&gameselect%5B%5D=316&gameselect%5B%5D=314&gameselect%5B%5D=312&gameselect%5B%5D=310&gameselect%5B%5D=308&gameselect%5B%5D=299&gameselect%5B%5D=297&gameselect%5B%5D=295&gameselect%5B%5D=293&gameselect%5B%5D=279&gameselect%5B%5D=277&gameselect%5B%5D=263&gameselect%5B%5D=249&gameselect%5B%5D=225&gameselect%5B%5D=217&gameselect%5B%5D=208&gameselect%5B%5D=204&gpu_fullname=1&codename=0&architecture=0&pixelshaders=0&vertexshaders=0&corespeed=0&shaderspeed=0&boostspeed=0&memoryspeed=0&memorybus=0&directx=0&technology=0&daysold=0

The MBP (I assume 13.3") is a very solid laptop, but all its components are soldered in (well, the SSD isn't, but it uses a proprietary connector so you'll be paying out the nose if you want to upgrade to a bigger one). The main appeal of the MBP is the high resolution retina screen that covers 100% of sRGB color space. But that's geared more towards artists rather than CS majors. But then, your other choice is tablet so maybe this is important to you? If it is, the Yoga's screen covers about 95% of sRGB, but it appears to be a 6-bit panel so color gradients aren't as nice as on the MBP.

If you haven't seen 1080p on a 14" screen, I suggest you try it. Typical fonts at that size are at about the limit I'm comfortable with, so I don't consider the retina display on the 13" MBP to be an advantage. But your eyes may be better than mine. I'd say the main advantage is the Thunderbolt port, allowing you to daisychain multiple displayport (works with 4k) external monitors when doing CS work. The Yoga 14 has a single HDMI port (1920x1080 max).

Both are limited to 8GB RAM. The 1.9GHz i5 turbo boosts to 2.6-2.9 Ghz, while the 2.6GHz i5 turbo boosts to 2.9-3.1 GHz. So there's only about a 10% difference in CPU speed, not the 35% difference 1.9 vs 2.6 suggests. The SSD on the MBP will be substantially faster (compared to an add-on M.2 SSD for the Yoga 14), but most of that speed is with sequential read/writes which really only come into play when working with large video files.

So do you want a tablet that can game and has lots of built-in storage, or a laptop with a higher-res screen and faster SSD which can connect to lots of external monitors?

Edit: Oh yeah, the keyboard on the Yoga 14 is an absolute dream. While I had it, I thought the tablet form factor or the nice screen or the quiet gaming were the most impressive features. But now that it's gone, the thing I miss most is that damn Thinkpad keyboard.