Best Laptop for Music Production / Occasional FPS / General Use

Brian_160

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
What is the best 1k USD laptop for the music production (Ableton Live / Max MSP) and Maybe a FPS once in a blue moon...

I was considering the following:
New Razer Stealth (I have one on order but will cancel if needed)
XPS 13 9360
Dell Inspiron 15 5000

Specs I think I'd like are 7th gen i7 and at least 8 - 16gb ram w/ SSD hard drive.... If these specs are too much or I can get comparable performance in something less expensive that's fine too.
What is the highest quality build wise and most reasonably priced machine that will last me a longtime. I am also considering using this as a desktop replacement with a docking station.

Thanks

Solution

Verndewdimus

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016
At college they sent us mid 2012 macbook pro's with these specs.
Intel i7 @2.6 with a boost to 3.6ghz
8 gb ram
nvidia 650m
BUT they almost demanded we get an external drive to save our music project files and audio on. The reason should be obvious as there is a limit to how much reading and writing one HDD can do at once, not having an external HD i wound up with a lot of stalling when mixing and recording . 8gb or ram is minimal for all the plugins and processes, and will not be enough if you need a lot of plug ins and fx/dynamics.
Make sure that youre grouping for verb fx so they arent on every channel. If youre doing high track counts you need more ram. Sophisticated music production takes a bit of power, but the bare minimum is two hd's a quad core at 2.6-3ghz and installing sound libraries on the second hd as well as saving all audio and music project files to the second hd.

Verndewdimus

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016
Solution