Best laptop for video editing? Mac or ?

BnG

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
So my dad is looking for a laptop for video editing and work related stuff. His current laptop, which I recently cleaned, still isn't fast enough to run modern day editing software. He tried the older versions of the same software, but those were still too slow for his liking.

Therefore he decided he wants to upgrade to something better. He only uses it for work related stuff and video editing. He was looking at the Macbook pro because he liked the easy of use and the he thinks the standard software on the Mac will suit him well. What he wants is basically the option to add text over the video and cut some pieces here and there which could also be done in Windows moviemaker if I'm correct.

He likes the keep things simple and prefers ease, which the Mac provides without a doubt, but I am personally aware of the fact that a Mac will cost a lot more for the same performance.

He will be using the laptop for the next couple years (at least 5 I think) and the budget is below €1500. Could you guys recommend a specific laptop that would outperform most others price/performance wise (he will not be using it for any type of gaming, keep that in mind). Also, it doesn't need to be €1500, this is just the maximum he is probably willing to pay.

- BnG

Solution
At that price, you might as well buy a gaming laptop! From what you said, it sounds like the video editing he does is very simple and rather not as professional with some $500 Adobe video editing suite. With that being said, I think you could get a solid computer for around 700 euros that will excel in what he wants.

I would not recommend a Mac, and not just because of the price, but your dad needs to use this laptop for work, too. A work laptop should be consistent with his other working partners, and I'm guessing the business he works for uses mainly Windows. If I had to recommend a good laptop, I would recomend this http://www.amazon.com/N550JK-DS71T-Full-HD-Touchscreen-Laptop-Aluminum-Body/dp/B00IAA5BSS

It has a very strong i7...

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014
At that price, you might as well buy a gaming laptop! From what you said, it sounds like the video editing he does is very simple and rather not as professional with some $500 Adobe video editing suite. With that being said, I think you could get a solid computer for around 700 euros that will excel in what he wants.

I would not recommend a Mac, and not just because of the price, but your dad needs to use this laptop for work, too. A work laptop should be consistent with his other working partners, and I'm guessing the business he works for uses mainly Windows. If I had to recommend a good laptop, I would recomend this http://www.amazon.com/N550JK-DS71T-Full-HD-Touchscreen-Laptop-Aluminum-Body/dp/B00IAA5BSS

It has a very strong i7 processor great for video editing, has a dedicated GeForce graphics card, and 8GB RAM as well as a 1TB hard drive. Go for that :) and there are new ones in stock on Amazon, and also it has the available touch screen option, all for a price under your budget.

Solution

BnG

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
Thank you for your time :). I really like the specs of the laptop, where I live it's €1300. Another model, the Asus ASUS N550JV-CM068H is €1100 here. I think he prefers the 750gb HDD over the 256GB SSD anyway, and furthermore the only real difference is the 750m instead of the 850m. The i7 performance is near identical.

He likes to edit using Pinnacle, this should run the newest version without problems right? His current one is struggling (CPU load 100% until it crashes) a lot.

Also, would it be worth to save the €200 and get slightly less performance for a pretty nice price drop? --> He could use the €200 to for example upgrade RAM to 16GB? I know it is a bit overkill but editing software loves RAM right?

- BnG

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014

That Asus N550JV-CM068H is very similar but just a slightly older version. You would have to buy it used or refurbished likely, just saying.

Also, the one I recommended above did not have an SSD, it has a 1TB hard drive. If you look on Amazon there is an option for one with an SSD, but it's a lot more money.

BnG

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

I did see the 1tb version, but where I live I can only get the SSD version which is kinda dissapointing. But you think that anyhow even the 750m will be able to run programs like Pinnacle (editing software in general) smoothly?