best Media Players + codec packs

GarSpear

Estimable
Nov 21, 2014
Hello

On my old Athlon computer for nearly ten years I used media play classic (MPC) together with its included codec packs. Never had a problem with it.

Will I get better picture quality with other newer players, even players that you have to buy? Is there any reason why I shouldn't just go with what I know again i.e. MPC.

Cheers

itmoba

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015
If you need to download a codec pack, I'd go with K-Lite. The "mega" and "update" will just about cover everything there is for typical playback.

GarSpear

Estimable
Nov 21, 2014
Do I need a separate software player to play blu ray discs from my new LG Blue Ray 5.25in blu ray player?

I haven't got any blu ray discs to try with it yet...

madmatt30

Honorable
Blurays (retail) are encrypted .
You therefore need decryption software installed (anydvd is $10).
3rd party apps will then play retail bluray content as the decrypting is done on the fly.
Vlc,Kodi,mpc will only play main movie content this way with no menus or special features.

For full bluray playback with all menus you will have to pay for cyberlink or similar.

GarSpear

Estimable
Nov 21, 2014
Thanks madmatt... you've helped a few times now!

Man I made a meal of putting this system together but I may post pics of it later.. if anyone is into that sort of thing.. I did some interesting funky ghetto mods to the case...

I want full menus. So cyberlink is fine with Kodi or MPC? I need to google cyberlink.. god it's never ending!!!!!!

itmoba

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015
A variety of Blu-ray encryption schemes cannot legally be decrypted by third-party software. Engaging in such activity is a breech of the EULA and DRM license agreement.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Apps General Discussion 0
G Apps General Discussion 0
B Apps General Discussion 3
D Apps General Discussion 2
C Apps General Discussion 4
clintox Apps General Discussion 3
A Apps General Discussion 2
J Apps General Discussion 1
P Apps General Discussion 3
N Apps General Discussion 1
S Apps General Discussion 1