Best microphone for commentary/recording for 50-150 dollars.

LunarUmbra

Estimable
Jul 4, 2014
Hello everyone. I was hoping to buy a microphone soon which I need for recording and commentary. My environment is pretty noisy at times with a loud computer, a loud fan running all the time, and some other loud noises that happen at times.

My budget is around 50-150 dollars. I think I might need to get a phantom power supply as my computer may send noises to my mic, and would then want to get an xlr microphone. I am willing to get a usb mic too, but I really would like the best combo/bang for your buck at this price range.

I took a look at the Blue Yeti, the most common mic at the price range and I don't think it is for me. I basically need a mic, phantom power supply (if getting xlr mic), and a microphone arm thingy (if it doesn't come with a stand) for around 150 dollars at most.

Thanks for the help, and I hope I can find a solution.

Solution

anti-duck

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
Honestly, in your situation I would look at the Audio Technica ATR-2100 USB/XLR, (https://goo.gl/vaeCTC). It's a dynamic microphone which is made to eliminate background noise, and it also doesn't even require 40v phantom power

LunarUmbra

Estimable
Jul 4, 2014

That seems like what I am looking for. I guess I want the direction I can talk in to be a cone shape, so i can face it towards me and talk into it, but not have to be extremely close to it. I also like the idea of having both usb and xlr options so if I get a phantom power source down the line I won't have to get a new mic to use one and won't have to spend the money now.

Are there any mics in the 100 dollar range that are better? I would prefer to have a mic that would last me awhile and have that be it.

anti-duck

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014

The ATR-2100 is a surprisingly good mic for the price.

There's only two other dynamic mics I know of that have USB/XLR connection - the Shure SM57 and Shure SM58; the SM57 is bang on $99 and the SM58 is going to be more expensive, I can't vouch for either though but I know they are both dynamic so completely eliminate everything except your voice and both mics have mic gain control.

LunarUmbra

Estimable
Jul 4, 2014

Ill have to take a look at both of those. Would I need to get a stand for it too? If there is a far superior mic that is xlr I would probably just get an xlr mic. I feel like my computer is going to make noise into the mic anyways

anti-duck

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014

Trust me, with any of those mics, there won't be any noise except for your voice. Dynamic mics are made to be used by musicians, reporters etc... that need to eliminate everything except their voices/instruments. You really won't need anything better than the ATR-2100 for Twitch streaming or just general game commentary to be honest.

You will need a boom and possibly (probably) a pop filter.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLpaNy6JzPg"]Audio Technica ATR2100-USB Review / Test [/video]

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxV_T_Wepe8"]Blue Yeti vs Audio Technica ATR2100 USB (Samson Q2U) [/video]

Oh, and there's another mic! Samson Q2U.

Solution

LunarUmbra

Estimable
Jul 4, 2014

I think you have me sold on that mic. It seems like the perfectt thing I am looking fo, thanks a bunch.