Best Music Headphones

XSlayerAssassinX

Estimable
Dec 5, 2014
Hey guys, i wanted to get a new pair of headphones and i don't know which ones to get.. I love listening to music on my PC and relaxing and playing games, my budget is 150. Can someone help out of these 3? I play all sorts of games, i really am strict about good clean bass in my headphones. Thanks!
http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-Over-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B003BYRGKE/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1420756230&sr=1-6&keywords=V-MODA+CROSSFADE

OR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042A8CW2/?tag=pcpapi-20

OR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVLUR86/?tag=pcpapi-20

Solution
I would recommend ATH-M50 from your list.
Nothing can beat that headphone in term of price/performance.
If you like V-Moda more, go for M100 instead of LP. M100 sounds better than LP.

I have both V-Moda M100 (for commuting) and ATH-M50 ( at home).
Sound-wise, M100 is on-par with ATH-50 but more expensive with higher build quality.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
I would recommend ATH-M50 from your list.
Nothing can beat that headphone in term of price/performance.
If you like V-Moda more, go for M100 instead of LP. M100 sounds better than LP.

I have both V-Moda M100 (for commuting) and ATH-M50 ( at home).
Sound-wise, M100 is on-par with ATH-50 but more expensive with higher build quality.

Solution

XSlayerAssassinX

Estimable
Dec 5, 2014

Thanks bud :)

do keep in mind that the m50 has perhaps the smallest soundstage of any headphone in your budget. it is small even for being a closed can. this means that all sound will be rather up front and sound close which is why it usually is not the first pick for gaming (open cans are preferred generally). also of note is that you can get open box m50s on ebay for $99 but brand new or about $110-120 not open. the m50x version is rather overpriced for what you get as the only real difference is removeable cables.

i personally own (and have owned for 4-5years) an m50s (straight cable) so if you had questions about it in detail i'd know and you can ask. i've used them for music, movies and some light gaming and while i do very much enjoy them i realize where they might not be quite as good in some areas as others (but i accept that since i bought them mainly for music, isolation and i required good bass).

you want deep bass but something a little better than an m50? look at the dt770pro 80. it may be a bit more than your budget but it has a wider soundstage than the m50 so a bit better for gaming though still closed with overall somewhat better audio quality and much more comfortable design. it performs best on a decently powerful soundcard though but should be playable on onboard (though you'd want an amp or soundcard eventually down the line)

--

the hd598 you listed above is rather neutral sounding. it has a wide soundstage, good clarity and is typically considered one of the better headphones for gamers though your insistance on "good bass" levels throw it out of the picture.

XSlayerAssassinX

Estimable
Dec 5, 2014

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-770-PRO-250-ohms/dp/B0006NL5SM

Thanks for the reply. And are you talking about these ones.. ? Do they have better bass then audio technicas? and better quality.. ? :eek:

yes, those are the ones i was mentioning. however, if you are after bass i'd go with the 80ohm version (its the bassiest). the 250ohm is the best quality sounding one. the xonar dg soundcard ($27) will power the 80ohm fine but if you went with the 250ohm i'd think about getting a more powerful amp.

while the m50s are good for the $100-110 range of price, the dt770 is all aground a better set of cans and i'd go with them over the m50x which go for $150-160 (m50x are overpriced).

the dt770 will be more comfortable (larger earcups, nicer for people with glasses), have the same nice deep bass as the m50s do, have a bit wider soundstage which makes them a bit better for gaming (though not quite as good as open cans, but most open cans dont have much bass) and have a slightly better sound quality.

now if you wanted OPEN for the soundstaging AND wanted bass then the dt990pro-250 has that. great soundstage, crisp treble, good bass for open cans, comfort. however, it absolutely needs a good amp.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
Sorry I did not pay attention to the ATH-M50x' price. I got my ATH-M50s for USD99.
USD150 is too much for ATH-M50 with detachable cable.

DT770 is also nice. My bro has it too.
The sound signature is a bit different than ATH-M50, but still very nice.

If you like bass, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro has also very strong bass.
You might wanna check it out too.

DT990 pro 250-Ohm edition is usually way more expensive.
Perhaps you can find a very good deal.

Comfort-wise, I found both very comfortable.
If you want comfort, just stay away from V-Moda's headphones.

I would avoid getting the 250-Ohm version without buying extra amplifier.

Some words regarding "quality".
Buying a headphone is not that simple.
Your preference in the sound signature also plays a big role.
Some like the strong V, some flat, more stage, build-quality, comfort, etc.
e.g. V-Moda's headphone are strong in build quality, looks but lack in comfort.
It is best if you can actually try those headphones before buying.

BTW.
You can not go wrong going ATH-M50 or DT770 or DT990 or Custom One Pro.
All of them are good with their own pros and cons and their own sound signatures.

thanks. i've been running this one for perhaps half a year now and i like it. normally i like to change it up every once in awhile. previously i was using:
maya_smirk.gif

mokasig2.gif
we do have an anime discussion thread somewhere in entertainment i believe (you'd need to forum search for it) as you may be interested. on occasion i've been known to discuss a few suggestions here and there as well.

XSlayerAssassinX

Estimable
Dec 5, 2014

haha, okay. And yeah i like that one. I like how you made it a "spoiler" :p

not sure if the claro supports virtual surround (if that matters to you). also, unless you buy a pretty nice pair of headphones spending alot of a soundcard is a waste.

if you ended up buying a high end set of headphones but dont care about virtual surround you may like the schiit modi + magni stack. if you did want virtual you can go with a soundcards line out plug and an amp.

if you ended up with a moderate powered headphone you could just use a soundcard like the creative Z.

honestly spending a whole lot on a soundcard is not needed unless you're an audiophile and have the headphones to notice the difference.

Well, I can tell you this, HT Omega made some of the best sound cards I ever heard. And back the in the day they actually had a soundcard with HDMI. I don't why sound cards don't do that anymore, but I assume it was such a high-quality audio that the music/movie industry was scared of the a good quality digital reproduction( and could be recorded) for the average person.

I assume also why they don't offer HDMI and display port because of the multi-channel 5.1 and above, perfect uncompressed audio in the multi-channel that you can only get with HDMI and display port. Analog 5.1 is really good also compared to optical. They were afraid!

I actually thought they were out of business because I checked their website for the last couple years or more to see if they were still back in business.

Buy it and tell us how you like it! The reviews look great. http://www.htomega.com/ Edited for link.

Happy listening, the Prisoner...

guanyu210379

Distinguished
I am actuall not a fan of virtual surround stuffs.
Either the card and headphone can do true surround using multiple drivers or just let it pure unprocessed stereo.
Virtual surround sounds strange sometimes for music.

BTW. HT? I never heard of it. Tried to look for it in amazon.de, I can not find it somehow. I guess, it is not available in Germany.