Best Noise Isolating Headphones

Apr 23, 2014
Hi guys, I live in Australia, and I am soon to be going on a long distance overseas flight to England. In order to make the trip, I was considering buying a decent pair of noise isolating headphones, however, I would only be willing to pay up to $150 Aud, preferably under.

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum, this is the one i found that made the most sense.

Thanks for help in advance.

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Best? Bose Quiet Comfort is the best. Buut I guess it's out of your price range so too bad.

Well heres some other choices
http://www.cnet.com/topics/headphones/best-headphones/noise-canceling/

Apr 23, 2014

Most of them seem out of my price range. Would Anyone recommend the Sennheiser 280 Pro's?

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009

That headphone doesn't have noise cancelling. It's only noise reduction which any closed headphone will have to some degree.

Edit: Oh nvm you WERE only looking for noise isolating headphones. Then yea the sennheiser 280's are great headphones. I've never owned that specific model but I heard great things about it.

ttimberlak443

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
I have a pair of 280 Pro's and they are pretty nice. They sound great when given enough power, although it doesn't take much to power them as they are 64 ohm drivers. The isolate the sound fairly well. Comfort-wise, they aren't terrible, but not as comfortable as some other headphones I've used.

Apr 23, 2014

For better noise isolation, would these be better?
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1404285330&sr=8-2&keywords=Auravana

ttimberlak443

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

I personally haven't used those headphones, but I can assure you that the 280's will do what you want them to do. As long as the volume isn't turned up to a level that you probably shouldn't be listening to anyway, then sound won't really be leaking out. When there is sound going through the headphones, you can't hear anything outside of your music.

One thing to consider if you care about how you're going to look on your trip, the 280's are ugly as sin. If that isn't a concern then I would go ahead and get the 280's, but if that does happen to be something that you're considering then I would look into something else.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the 280's have a 64 ohm impedance while those Creative cans have a 32 ohm impedance. While my iPhone 5 will drive the 280 Pro's, they do prefer something that can provide a bit more power. They still sound fine from a mobile device, so that would really just be something to consider if you're REALLY picky about how they'll sound during a trip.

Apr 23, 2014

To be honest, Im not an 'Audiophile', so to speak, I have been using Samsung headphones for the last year...