afgh_dha

Prominent
May 11, 2017
I was looking to get a GTX 1070 based laptop for gaming that also happens to be lightweight and slim. I stumbled upon the ASUS ROG strix GL502VS-WS71 that ticked all the boxes(15.6 inches, IPS panel, 4 cores, Decent HDD and SSD, Gsync, affordable(1599$ near me)). However, I found out it has a heating problem. Is this problem overblown or can I just get a laptop cooler? The discharging while plugged in under heavy load problem seems to have been removed since the newer versions come with a 230W adapter but I maybe wrong about this. Are there any other alternatives I could look into. MSI seems too bulky. Also, the ASUS one doesn't seem to have 120 Hz refresh rate but I could be wrong about this.

Solution
To destroy the dream first, Lightweight game performance without heat? Impossible!
I tried it... I owned the 502VS for 2 weeks. Perfect laptop to play games on high settings. It's relatively lightweight. But temperatures rise fast. The cooling systems manages this by spinning up the fans to max RPM. Keeping your CPU and GPU just below their max temps. I didn't notice any thermal throttling during hours of gameplay, but these fans will push you to the limits of what is bearable without using headphones. Please understand that this laptop performs!
After 2 weeks I decided that noise and temps (can't think of a way these near to max temps are no harm to the CPU and GP) were to much for me and traded it for a fresh 752VS OC edition. This...

ikelfkens

Prominent
May 24, 2017
To destroy the dream first, Lightweight game performance without heat? Impossible!
I tried it... I owned the 502VS for 2 weeks. Perfect laptop to play games on high settings. It's relatively lightweight. But temperatures rise fast. The cooling systems manages this by spinning up the fans to max RPM. Keeping your CPU and GPU just below their max temps. I didn't notice any thermal throttling during hours of gameplay, but these fans will push you to the limits of what is bearable without using headphones. Please understand that this laptop performs!
After 2 weeks I decided that noise and temps (can't think of a way these near to max temps are no harm to the CPU and GP) were to much for me and traded it for a fresh 752VS OC edition. This laptop isn't anywhere near slim. But it's portable in every way. Temperatures are way better than with the 502. Mainly because of the room the components get to loose their heat. The vaporchamber and better collinglayout of the 752 add to the fact it never reached temps higher than 76C. The higher weight and bigger size is not as big a deal when you realize your hardware is cooled properly. Not wearing headphones all the time is an added bonus imho.

Solution