Toaki

Estimable
Sep 23, 2014
Code:
Hey guys, Im practically amateur building laptops I´m currently looking for one that can fit for my school and work for at least until march of 2017 I was looking for options and I found those 2 so I want to know wich one you think is better and if possible, why.

Description of what I do: 
Im a 3D modeller, animator and VFX artist, focused 80% in animation (and render),
Software (+priority to -priority) Maya 2015 with mental ray, Photoshop,Nuke,zBrush,3dMax,RealFlow (time to time I also play with cinema 4,sonyvegas and aftter effectsm but those ones are irrelevant for now)
What i need: Quality and Speed in viewports also good render precision (about lights and efects, also with movements obviously, but i don´t do any hard simulation anyways, except for water,fire and smoke/fog...but it´s ok what i need is animation and lighting)

Systems that i found and I don´t know wich one to pick (im really bad with machines and hardware xD)
Option a)
Proc.- I7-4710HQ (quad core,6MB cache up to 3.5Hz w/ turbo boost)
O.S..- Win 8.1
Graphic card: Nvidia GeForce GTX980M (4GB  GDDR5)
 + Second Graphic Card: PNY XLRBGeForceGTX 970 4GB (is in a different case, but just plug in and work with both of them)
RAM: 16GB dual channel DDR3L (1600MHz)
3400 CAD

Option b)
Proc.- i7-4810MQ 2.8 GHz
O.S.- Win 7Pro
Graphic Card Nvidia Quadro k 3100 3D 4GB 
RAM 16GB DDR3
3000CAD

I didn´t type the price, display,ports and those things because are irrelevant (and almost the same things, in fact i dpn´t care about display quality because I´ll buy an other screen xD)

1. What is your budget? I can cover both of them. (good bye 2 years savings :C)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Irrelevant, i need performance not size

3. What screen resolution do you want? Irrelevant i have an external screen that i use as  aprimary one

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?  mobile workstation/laptop

5. How much battery life do you need? Up to 6 hours is fine

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop?  Nah, but if i do will be low or medium games just for fun in sundays, my goal is work

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? Photo(video editing (photoshop and nuke, sometimes after effects but like 1 each 3 weeks so doesn´t matters. 3D particle simulation (real flow)
IMPORTANT: Animation in maya also modeling, and modeling in 3dsMax

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Irrelevant both of my option have the same amount and i have all my work in portable hdd

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Alienware and NCIX
[url=http://www.dell.com/ca/p/alienware-15/pd#overrides=nae15_f_h03e:6~GTX980;7974~452-BBRG+A7962934;1002~OHS13M;200013~M81U6E;33~ACDAM1R;8~1281TB7]http://www.dell.com/ca/p/alienware-15/pd#overrides=nae15_f_h03e:6~GTX980;7974~452-BBRG+A7962934;1002~OHS13M;200013~M81U6E;33~ACDAM1R;8~1281TB7[/url]

[url=http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=105299]http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=105299[/url]

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? Much as i can but at least until march 2017

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? Irrelevant i have my external optical drive

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Well the brand I don´t care i need the performance for my work and school, I asked in the school and they can´t give me feedback about one of them, just to chekc the website and look wich one I guess is better :V)

BUT I need a Laptop since I´m not canadian and I´m living in canada, in 1 year i´ll return to my hometown in Mexico, and 3 or 4 months later I´ll travel to japan for work so I need a laptop not a desktop

13. What country do you live in? Canada(currently)-Mexico(my hometown for 4 months in 1 year),Japan for 6 1 year up to the rest of my time in May or June)

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
About customers service and those things it´s ok, both of them have world cover blablabla, maybe not the msi, but I know people in the 3 countries that can help me to fix it if there is any problem, also with the parts.

Aditional info: Basically I want to know wich one is better because I was close to buy the alienware but then i read something about double floating point and blablabla, I know some programming and I know about what does floating point is about precision and fidelity for high quality simulations, but I don´t know if that can be supplied with 2 graphic cards working together or something like that, or well basically if anyone of them are equal at performance or not.

For your time and patient with my broken english, thank you very much =)