Best PC Desktop Speakers for Classical Music

berlin88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I am looking to upgrade the speakers on my desktop, and was wondering what people recommend these days?

The main use for these speakers would be listening to Classical Music, with PC gaming and DVD watching a secondary use. I am primarily focused on speakers that would be great for classical music.

My current speakers are a set of Logitech Z-640 speakers that I got back in 2004. These speakers were originally purchased for gaming, and are less than ideal for classical music, hence my desire to upgrade.

For a budget, I think under $200 would be good, but if you have to spend more than that to get a good set of speakers, then feel free to make recommendations above my $200 price range.

Solution
could go powered speakers...
mackie cr3/cr4, m-audio av30/av40 or similar.

could go with some nice passives and an amplifier or receiver...
pioneer bs22, micca mb42, klipsch r14m/kb-15icon, etc are good.

i'm using a 5.1 set of klipsch right now with a pioneer receiver (hover over my avatar to see list of products) and i like them. i like the klipsch horn design (bright vibrant treble) although if you dont like bright treble get something with a dome tweeter instead.

maxalge

Honorable
Herald
May 31, 2012

the best option would be for you to buy a receiver and some good speakers for it, way cheaper and better quality

than some specific made pc stuff

could go powered speakers...
mackie cr3/cr4, m-audio av30/av40 or similar.

could go with some nice passives and an amplifier or receiver...
pioneer bs22, micca mb42, klipsch r14m/kb-15icon, etc are good.

i'm using a 5.1 set of klipsch right now with a pioneer receiver (hover over my avatar to see list of products) and i like them. i like the klipsch horn design (bright vibrant treble) although if you dont like bright treble get something with a dome tweeter instead.

Solution

berlin88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009

Would something like Polk Audio bookshelf speakers be compatible with a Desktop PC? I assume I would have to get some sort of receiver if I got Polk Audio.

Newegg has some on sale right now

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290202

Any comments on the Alesis m1?

http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-M1-Active-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B0011Z87I0/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=06Q5Y23DZF595BTBQCSV

For headphones, I currently have the Audio Technica ATH M-30X, and those have worked out ok so far.

those polks are passive speakers so would need an amplifier or receiver. provided you had such, yes of course they would be compatible.

active speakers are self powered (the amp is inside the speaker) so are plug and play. no idea about the alesis brand but i mentioned a few known good models.