Best PC Security Software

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Hi Everyone. Thanks for all the comments. I just wanted to update those of you who commented on this roundup thus far. Our recommendations and ratings are based on both third-party data and in-depth hands-on testing, including performance impact. The ratings are based on a combination of interface, ease of setup, features, level of performance and system impact. This roundup did not include any evaluations of free security software but we will be following up with a separate report. Please keep the feedback coming and thanks for reading.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Years ago I had my WoW password hacked by a trojan that was installed through Google Pages. I was running Norton, found the file myself by simple date stamp in the windows directory. I submitted it to Norton and after 2-3 weeks I got a response saying that a program that stole a game password was not considered a threat and it would not be added to their database. I removed Norton and will never install it or advise anyone else to do so. IMO anything that steals a password is a threat, gaming account or not.Just for testing, I installed AVG - which found the virus instantly. I saved a copy of the trojan and for curiosity, reinstalled Norton 2 years later and it still did not find it. Not a good policy if you ask me.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Every pc that I have had to do virus removal on in the past 5 years has been running MsSE. Including my own testbed (about 4 yrs ago) Bitdefender and good old AVG are my go to titles.
Funny you should say that. Every PC I have had to do virus cleanup on in the past 5 years has been running McAfee, Norton, AVG, BitDefender, MSE, Avast, Kaspersky, NOD32, Avira, F-Secure and a host of other random antivirus and antimalware programs including combinations of multiple programs.MSE is probably the best lightweight free AV out there. AVG has sold out, Their security toolbar often gives unverified malicious results while claiming the site is "Safe".

lucent50

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
I agree with Ozfer I use Kaspersky and definetly recommend them. I got mine cheap at nuerasoftware.com If your machine is older you might want to consider something lighter like bitdefender or avg

AlexPoker

Estimable
Mar 12, 2014
Kaspersky Anti-Virus is good, but do not trust. In Russia ruled by the KGB and the Goebbels propaganda they certainly engaged in espionage. Russian security services using Kaspersky Anti-Virus for spying and stealing passwords!

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Hi Guys. For those that had question about why we chose these five, we decided to review the software we did based on popularity, narrowing our options down to five choices. If there are other suites/tools you'd like us to test, please let us know. Thanks.

radka52

Estimable
Mar 24, 2014
I am using Avast (the Free edition) for more than 2 years and had NO problems with any viruses.http://www.avast.com/get/37Nfn0kk

lduvall

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Having used various flavors of Linux as my primary OS, I haven't had malware/virus issues. I did read an article recently about a significant number of Linux servers having been compromised for several years - so that may be changing. "Freebies" for my Windows machines have worked so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.