Best screen recorder (with sound)

Lollypopz

Estimable
Mar 11, 2015
Hi, my 13 year old wants to make minecraft and plants vs zombies garden warfare on videos YouTube. He wants to commentate as well. I need a screen recorder that comes with sound recording that's about $0-30 pls help

Solution
well i only used fraps. Its simple, have options to record desktop or game, have fps count and you can choose if you want to record sound or no.
Downsides - videos are not compressed and therefore size may get realy huge (like 1GB for 1 min). Also it goes a bit over your budget - $37
I usualy combine it with virtualdub to compress videos
Another one you can try is CamStudio - Its open source

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
well i only used fraps. Its simple, have options to record desktop or game, have fps count and you can choose if you want to record sound or no.
Downsides - videos are not compressed and therefore size may get realy huge (like 1GB for 1 min). Also it goes a bit over your budget - $37
I usualy combine it with virtualdub to compress videos
Another one you can try is CamStudio - Its open source

Solution

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Hi Lollypops,

What type of hardware will your son be using?

Streaming or recording footage can be quite CPU intensive at times, so dependent on the system depends on the quality you get.

The first one is fraps. It is your basic screen capture software which fits in your price range. This can be quite intensive and takes up a LOT of space on your hard drive before you have compressed it.

Open broadcaster software (OBS) is the second option. This is primarily used to stream what you are playing/doing to something such as twitch. You can however set this up to save to your system and then at a later date, upload it to youtube. I will warn you with this however, it can be quite in-depth on setting this up and would need a fair bit of research to go into it.

The last two options are the recording software build into your graphics drivers. Geforce experience and raptr. These are easy to set up and are not nearly as intensive as others but also produces lower quality.
Issues with this i can see is that your posting in the laptop section and i'm betting a fair amount you've got a basic laptop with integrated graphics which won't have geforce or AMD drivers on.

Those are your most popular options. Just be careful with what your son will be uploading, give it a check over and make sure he doesn't accidentally release personal details which were captured on screen/audio.

angelasissy

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015

angelasissy

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015

TRENDING THREADS