Best speakers for my sound card...

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
Hi all!

I'm currently in the process of planning out my dream PC build and have decided to go with an Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus 7.1 soundcard. I plan on using a headset with the standard 3.5mm mic and audio jack, which shall both be plugged into their respective ports on the soundcard, obviously. As I am new to the whole soundcard thing I am unsure about what to do next. I am after a good quality set of computer speakers to plug into the remaining ports of the soundcard, and I want the speakers to be at least 5.1 surround. Beyond that I've no clue really. =P

I will probably primarily use the speakers for playing music, and I like my music to have nice, deep bass and crisp sounds.

If anyone could suggest what speakers would be best for me I would greatly appreciate it!

On a side note, does anyone know of a decent headset (i.e. Including a mic) that would be good for gaming?

Solution
Well, most people are fine with pretty cheap options. My $200 Steelseries Siberia Elite Prism is considered high end. Some of the most popular headsets are the Steelseries Siberia V2 (the v3 is out now), the Corsair Vengeance 2100, and the HyperX Cloud Pro. The reason they're popular is because they sound pretty good compared to others for the same cost (The Steelseries and Corsair sound better than the HyperX), they're comfortable, and they're tough. You may not want something as cheap as those, but they demonstrate the basic things you want to look for. I definitely think the Sennheisers are a good option. The ZERO is the same as the ONE, but with a closed back design. The G4ME line is also an updated version of the PC360s, more...

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012

I'd say £300-£400 or lower. I'm not looking for the absolute, balls to the walls, top notch, best that money can buy, but something that's both great quality and reasonably priced?

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm after a PC speaker set, not a home theatre one? =) Also, I hate to say it, but that colour scheme would NOT go well with my PC. XD

ewok93

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
What color scheme are you looking for? http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surround-Sound-Speaker-System/dp/B004M18O60/ref=br_lf_m_1001234281_1_3_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&pf_rd_p=1879375182&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1001234281&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0K48ERMPBME44XP8TEJW This would probably fit it, and give you really nice sound. As for a gaming headset, if you like bass, you want 50mm drivers. I wouldn't go for a USB headset with a sound card like that, or even a gaming headset at all, except maybe a Sennheiser G4ME ZERO. It depends on your budget though, if it's 100 (no pound sign sorry), that would change my recommendations a bit.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012

My colour scheme is currently red on black (Red fans/tubing/accents/etc.), basically a ROG sort of colour scheme if you know what I mean? SO anything with those colours are fine.

That actually is a nice looking set of speakers, I'll do a bit of research into them but so far they look sound (Pun intended). =)

I'd not thought about headsets much to be honest, but I think you are right, a USB headset would be a bit sub-par. Those Sennheiser headphones look nice, I'll look into them as well. To be honest while I don't want to spend a fortune on audio I don't want to get substandard kit either, so if you have a recommendation for a good set of headphones please do let me know. =)

ewok93

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Well, most people are fine with pretty cheap options. My $200 Steelseries Siberia Elite Prism is considered high end. Some of the most popular headsets are the Steelseries Siberia V2 (the v3 is out now), the Corsair Vengeance 2100, and the HyperX Cloud Pro. The reason they're popular is because they sound pretty good compared to others for the same cost (The Steelseries and Corsair sound better than the HyperX), they're comfortable, and they're tough. You may not want something as cheap as those, but they demonstrate the basic things you want to look for. I definitely think the Sennheisers are a good option. The ZERO is the same as the ONE, but with a closed back design. The G4ME line is also an updated version of the PC360s, more comfortable, few changes to make it more durable, and a better mic. They would work nicely with your sound card, you won't be wasting it by getting a USB headset. http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9B-26-106-694&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleBiz-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleBiz-PC-_-pla-_-Headsets+%26+Accessories-_-9B-26-106-694&gclid=CLP4i8j2zMECFZNbfgodSg8A2g There's even a black version that would match your stuff perfectly. That's not the cheapest price, just the first link.

Solution

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012

Wow, thanks for such a detailed reply! =D

You are right, those Sennheiser's look sweet! Definitely going to put those on my short list. =) I'm going to look into other solutions as well of course, I kinda want to look into 5.1 as well, but I'm definitely not against 2.1.