Best Tiled Window Manager

gasolin

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Best Tiled Window Manager

Just found this page Best Tiled Window Manager

And was wondering what is best since Dell Dispaly Manager is not always aligning to the corners (links to the apps is in the first link)

AquaSnap — Tiles and arranges windows by "drag & drop" or hotkeys, can "snap" windows side by side like magnets. Supports multi-monitor setups

SplitView — Tiles windows using caption buttons and keyboard shortcuts, optionally maximizing windows to a screen part (commercial)

Mosaico — Tiles windows using "drag&go" feature or keyboard shortcuts. Saves windows position and size in a snapshot and can restore up to 8 snapshots (commercial)

HashTWM — Tiling window manager with automatic tiling

GridMove — Tiles and arranges windows on sophisticated layouts with hotkeys and multi-monitor support

bug.n — Amongst other flavours is a dynamic, tiling window manager, which tries to clone the functionality of dwm

Windawesome — A highly customizable dynamic window manager written in C#

MaxTo — Tiles windows on user-defined grid by intercepting windows that are maximized or using hotkeys. Supports multi-monitor setups

Twinsplay — Tiles windows using keyboard shortcuts

Plumb — Automatically aligns windows for you while you work

Python-windows-tiler — Very basic tiler

Divvy — (Commercial)

My sense of "what is best" is "none of the above".

Reason: I know Microsoft is not always the best to work with but I have learned that introducing 3rd party products just brings in other issues. If not immediately, then eventually, as one side or the other updates.

Also prefer not to develop a reliance on software that will (and most likely) disappear or otherwise become unworkable.

I will concede that that is more of a philosophic answer than a technical answer.

But simplicity, even when imperfect, has its advantages.

Barring some really serious problem(s) a third party manager should not be necessary.

Just forget Dell's Display Manager and learn to work with and accept the native display manager.

TRENDING THREADS