best way to connect pc to stereo

nwf477

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
I have an older Dell XPS 410 and I believe it has a SIGMA TEL AUDIO card? and I would like to connect the Dell to my stereo ( for now 5.1 is okay ). Currently I am using a mini rca to a "y" to rca to get sound. The back of the Dell has a SPDIF output and my stereo has several spdif inputs. I hooked up an optical cable between the to and nothing neither video nor audio. Is it possible the card does not support digital considering the computer is pushing 10 years old? I read that unless you switch the output of the card to digital you will get nothing. What is a good solution a better sound card ( will my Dell accept a newer card ) or should I leave everything the way it is?
Norman

You should be able to get some sound. Did you go into the audio control of the Dell and choose the spdif output to be turned on? You would also have to make sure that the receiver spdif connection is assigned to an input (this is done in the input setup menu). Good idea to check on new audio drivers too.
If you can't get 5.1 but can get at least 2.0 then a new card would do the job.

nwf477

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
I tried to assign an input for the optical on rcvr still nothing. I went to the computer and could not find anything that would allow me to change the SPDIF output to on.(on the Dell)The only thing I did find was the service manual which shows the SPDIF out on the computer but it also says if you have a sound card use that one. So what is next or should I stick to the analog hook up?