Best way to copy MP4 to DVD

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

robert600

Distinguished
Yes, that is indeed HD! - in fact, it is classic 720p. If you scroll back to Alabalco's post (the 1st reply to your thread) you will see that no dvd player can handle this resolution.

Here's a little chart of Common high-definition video modes:

Video mode Frame size in pixels (W×H) Pixels per image1 Scanning type Frame rate (Hz)
720p 1,280×720 921,600 Progressive 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60, 72
1080i 1,920×1,080 2,073,600 Interlaced 25 (50 fields/s), 29.97 (59.94 fields/s), 30, 60
1080p 1,920×1,080 2,073,600 Progressive 24 (23.976), 25, 30 (29.97), 50, 60 (59.94)
1440p 2,560×1,440 3,686,400 Progressive 24 (23.976), 25, 30 (29.97), 50, 60 (59.94)

It might be interesting to play the file that you put into 'multi' that generated this 720 p output file. Play it with potplayer and do the tab thing - is it 720p as well or is it 1080p?

ok ... sounds like you'll have to rename that problematic x264 file back to it's original name - even though it 'stops working' it seems to necessary. I can not think of any reason why it performs fine on my system but stops on yours. But ... it is what it is. From your post, it sounds like you get this message for each and every movie in a multi-movie encode?

mr benn

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
I have checked the original mp4 file , and it is 1920 x 1080 . So am i losing some quality still somewhere ?

Im going to convert a longer mp4 file onto a disk tomorrow. Will let you know how i get on. I will also try and see if i can get help on this file error on a forum more specific for the AVCHD software.

Cheers

mr benn

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
I did find a tick box that says "scale 1920 x1080 to 1280 x 720 if bitreate is less than 4500"

Im not sure that that means , but I may try and untick it to see if the quality rises to the full 1080 from the 720 I got on that film.

I have just tried running a larger file , around 1mb. Im not sure if its stuck , as its been on "close to completion" in the text box for 45 minutes now .
In the bottom left hand of the screen , it says estimated output shows 2 mins , when the film is near 10 mins. The whole process has been running for about an hour. On the right hand side it says output file is 0 , encoded 150.67 , 100%
Is there somewhere that gives you a guide how ong the process should take , as you mentioned yours taking 5 hours ?

robert600

Distinguished
yes, I would untick that box and try - maybe with the small file at first

did the larger file complete?

it hard to say too much about how long encode will take - depends on processor speed etc etc. I find the estimate to be fairly accurate but I think the estimate is for what it is doing at the moment so if it's encoding say the 1st of 2 movies - then you kinda have to double what it says - plus - it has to make the menu. The one I said I thought would take 5 hours, I think ended up taking 7. I was encoding 2 movies - both over 2 hours @ 1080p plus the menu.

Any luck on that other form about the 'stopped working' message?

If i remember rightly the output file stays at zero until a movie is completely encoded.

mr benn

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
So this is strange , suddenly Im not getting the x264 error ...which is good news.

I aborted the large file as it appeared to just be hanging. I have subsequently done some other files, and they seemed to have worked okay.
I actually checked the output of them , and the resolution was 1920 x1080 , so that's good as well, and it looks good on our TV.

I just need to play with some of the menu settings to work that out better.
Also going to try about 5 files, to see if it can handle that.

Thanks for all your help. Will post how I get on.

robert600

Distinguished
Isn't that strange? but yes very good news!!!!! Any idea at all what changed?

Yes 1080p should look very good! I can't remember - is there audio on your videos - if so, how does the converted file sound?

mr benn

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Just tried to copy 5 files , and it appears to have frozen again .
Its been going 5 hours.
On the right hand side it says "close to completion - closing preview"

In the lines below it says 100%
then the next line down keeps toggling between 4 messages all saying 'end time 12:56 (its now 14:39 )

On the left hand side it says Titles 5 size 3924 mib output 1571 mib duration 25 mins (which is wrong)

I have checked the folders, and its only added 3 files to the Stream folder - the first 3 mp4 files im copying.

mr benn

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Just a footnote. I pressed stop on the 5 files i was doing as it looked like it was hanging. It then carried on. It seems to have copied 4 out of the files i wanted to . The one missing wasnt the last one, but it was the biggest .
I will try and see if I can run avchd on just that file , then add others in if that works.

mr benn

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Okay , I tried the large file on its own , and did a fast pass , and it worked ok. It jsut seems to be struggling when doing a HQ pass.
When you add a file into AVCHD at the bottom left it shows number of titles, estimated output and duration . I have noticed that when I add a large file over 1 gb, it doesnt seem to add the Duration correctly , whearas smaller files do - I just wonder if that is significant ?

eg I add 2 files , one 500,000 kb 5 mins long , then add another file 600,000 kb 6 mins long , then the total output looks correct , and the Duration mins is exact.
I then add a 1.2gb file 9 mins long , the output file size looks okay , but the total duration only goes up by 2 mins
If I only have the large file selected it just shows a duration of 2.34 minutes when it should be 9

mr benn

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
hey Im back again !
Having been a few months since i last did this Ive got a bit rusty. Anyway I managed to create the files (took 9 hours ! ) and copied to DVD okay .
However, it didnt seem to create the menu properly. So my question is, if I want to try and create a proper opening menu again, will I also have to go thru the pain of loading the mp4 files into AVCHD as well again. Or can i use the files from the Stream folder that Ive already created ?

mr benn

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Hi paul Its not the creating of menus. Its how do I add the video footage without having to go thru the whole process.
So , when I start in multiAVCHD I add the mp4 files in, then create the menu settings, then click on start ...the whole process took 9 hours , and created me a folder called STREAM. I then copy all that using imgburn onto dvd. The problem was I didnt do the menus correctly. So if i want to do it again, do I have to start from scratch, or can I use the files already in that Stream folder , and then just recreate a menu somehow.
Hope that makes more sense

robert600

Distinguished
sorry, i've been away - have you created the menus yet? - i'd be surprised if you couldn't use the already converted files in the stream folder (and thus save the 9 hour conversion) but, i'm not positive about that. let me know!