Best way to encrypt data partition

hemang

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Currently using Dell Laptop with Win 7 Pro. I use VeraCrypt to make encrypted containers in which

I store important files which are not used everyday. Many document files which I use daily, generally LibreOffice files, are not within the container but protected by long password. There are many files like 1000's of pictures which are not sensitive and are unprotected. Even emails.

I always fear that if the laptop is stolen, a lot of my data would be accessible.

I have daily and weekly backups at different locations.

I would soon like to purchase a new laptop and will have to choose Win 10 for sure.
How can I protect my data so that even if the laptop is stolen, I wouldn't have to fear? I don't need the system partition to be protected, just the data

Should I encrypt the data partition (I always partition hard disk and use D: partition for data) with VeraCrypt or some other software? I don't know how this would work as my data folder (mapped in the OS) would be within this partition. So it needs to be decrypted before actual booting or the OS may give errors. I also shift the "Desktop" to D: drive generally.

Or is there any hardware encryption / decryption device, password or biometric based which I should look at?

Or does any laptop come with such biometric hardware?

Please help me decide so that I can purchase a suitable laptop.

Solution
You may 'Bitlocker' individual partitions/drives individually, or do them all...

Each is quite secure, but, mind you, if you lose/forget your passworrd or recovery key, your data is gone....

mdd1963

Distinguished
right click the drive in question within "This PC", you will clearly see 'turn on Bitlocker' as an option....

Certainly the Veracrypt option keeps that data inaccessible, as long as the laptop is not stolen when powered on with data unencrypted....

hemang

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011

So if I have to choose between BitLocker and VeraCrypt, which would be better? And if I partition the disk to have a D: drive for data, would these software encrypt and protect both partitions at the same time or only the system partition?