Better for gaming? - Sony MDR7506 vs. Sony MDRRF985RK Headphones

Fyyrki

Estimable
Nov 27, 2015
Hello everyone! I am looking for a new headset and I can not decide between the two above. One being wired and the other wireless. I know many use the MDR7506 for studio and recording tasks but could it be used for gaming? With the MDRRF985RK Headphones I am a little sketchy, them being wireless and having to charge them. I've never owned anything wireless. In your opinion which headphone is the best for gaming use? I'm talking about FPS games where enemy footsteps are dire to your survival. Which have the best sound overall? The $28 dollar difference can always help. I chose two pair without a microphone because I have a desktop microphone. Thanks for your time folks, Fyyrki

if you're looking to hear footsteps easier for fps gaming advantage... i would suggest the audiotechnica ath-500x as it is the same price range and has a wide soundstage, good positional audio and clear detailed treble/mids with very little bass. while perhaps not the most fun sounding arrangement this is the most advantageous as bass covers up footsteps. very popular with gamers given the properties though not everyone likes the headband style (its a love it or hate it scenario)

the sennheiser hd518 is cheap as well and is fairly neutral sounding and it uses the same drivers as the 558/598 but build quality is less and sound is slightly different. hd558 is suggested for the better pads/construction. while it doesnt have as big of a soundstage as the ad500x it is good enough and while not as bright and detailed its also good enough. bass is a bit more than the ad500x but still in the realm of neutral. the best way to describe them would be neutral and laid back sounding which is good for many hours of use.

the first headphone you listed seems to have a small soundstage and a bit more than average bass input however suffers from high distortion on the bass as well. the second has non user replaceable batteries (unless you can solder and do similar repair) which is a negative for long term use. not sure about the sound signature on the second one. honestly netiher one would be my first choice for gaming. if you absolutely can not pick anything but these two headphones...regardless of other choices being available i would say the first wired one would be the better long term choice

Fyyrki

Estimable
Nov 27, 2015
Thank you so much ssddx for your reply! I am really liking the reviews on the pair you mentioned. I am worried about the fact that they are open aired though. Are there any others similar in sound performance with a greater reputation than the previous?

open headphone are actually considered better for gaming since it increases soundstage and comfort (they are cooler to wear since they breathe). the negative is that they can leak some sound in/out so if you live in a noisy environment they might not be as good. closed headphones will muffle outside noise however generally have smaller soundstages and some can become hot to wear after awhile which are the downsides. both have pro/con depending on your needs.

they do make the a500x which is a closed version of the ad500x though since soundstage takes a bit of a hit the open version is considered better. if you live in a noisy environment however you might consider the closed variant.

Fyyrki

Estimable
Nov 27, 2015
Alrighty my friend, I think this completes my question. Thanks for your opinion and answers!