Solved! Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO On Ps4

Jan 11, 2019
Hello All,
Straight into it I'm not gonna act like a pro or rookie when it comes to audio I don't know that much. Sorry if it's a repeat question but looking at other questions is confusing especially when it gets well off from the original. So I'm looking into getting a set of Beyerdynamic DT 990 PROs for my ps4 gaming setup but I'm not sure what exactly equipmemt I will need to run them efficiently, any help is appreciated and thanks in advance

Solution
D
There are 3 versions of the DT 990. a 32 ohm version that can be driven with a phone, a 250ohm version that's needs at least a low powered amp and a 600ohm version that needs a relatively powerful amp of the types mentioned above.

Personally I wouldn't spend $300 on an amp/DAC stack for $150 990s. Especially not if gaming is your primary focus. Massdrop has their O2/SDAC combo in stock and ready to ship for $149. That's a heck of a good deal and more than $100 less than I paid for my Mayflower O2/ODAC. However it's really more than you need and may not be a great pairing with the 990s which are already very bright. They tend to do well with warmish amps and the O2 is neutral. Also not ideal for gaming since there's no surround modes...

lolnole

Proper
Oct 2, 2018
Since you did not specify any other equipment (AV receiver) in your setup, I am going to stick to audio-only.

PS4 ---TOSLINK/optical---> DAC ---interconnect cable---> Headphone Amplifier ---> Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO

There are devices that combine the functionality of the DAC and headphone amp all-in-one. It should be noted that these headphones are high-impedance (250 ohms). The amp will need to supply enough power to the headphone to sound good.

Let me show an example setup using equipment from the audio company Schiit:

PS4 ---optical---> Schiit Modi ---RCA---> Schiit Magni ---> Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO

DAC: Schiit Modi
http://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

Heaphone amp: Schiit Magni
http://www.schiit.com/products/magni-1

You can shop around for equipment that fits your budget and audio quality needs.

Jan 11, 2019
Thank you & Appreciate the reply. By AV Receiver do you mean a capture card because I do plan on getting one of them relatively soon so I have to keep that mind . Is it more expensive to get a all-in-one or to get them separately?
Also while running all of this will I be able to add a mic for online play/streaming?

lolnole

Proper
Oct 2, 2018
No, an AV receiver (AVR) is used for home theater systems. It connects multiple audio/video sources to TV/audio systems.

I know someone that has the O2/ODAC paired with their PS4. The headphone amp connects to the PS4 via USB. The sound quality should be comparable to the Schiit Magni+Modi combo from my previous post. I recommend getting a separate mic that connects to the PS4 via USB.

Do you have a capture card in mind?

D

Deleted member 217926

There are 3 versions of the DT 990. a 32 ohm version that can be driven with a phone, a 250ohm version that's needs at least a low powered amp and a 600ohm version that needs a relatively powerful amp of the types mentioned above.

Personally I wouldn't spend $300 on an amp/DAC stack for $150 990s. Especially not if gaming is your primary focus. Massdrop has their O2/SDAC combo in stock and ready to ship for $149. That's a heck of a good deal and more than $100 less than I paid for my Mayflower O2/ODAC. However it's really more than you need and may not be a great pairing with the 990s which are already very bright. They tend to do well with warmish amps and the O2 is neutral. Also not ideal for gaming since there's no surround modes.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-o2-sdac-dac-amp

For gaming my recommendation is an external soundcard. That will give you an amp and virtual surround modes. Something like the Sennheiser GSX1000 would be perfect. Note that it may not have a powerful enough amp section for the 600ohm 990s.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/audio-amplifier-gsx-1000

Solution