Beyerdynamic DT990 vs ATH-M50x?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaden43129

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
So as the title says I'd like to hear your opinions on the Beyerdynamic DT990 and the ATH-M50x.

I currently own a Siberia V2 headset and I decided it was time to upgrade to something better.
I mainly do gaming and listen to rock with some occasional dubstep.
As for the microphone I'm planning on grabbing an AntLion mic.

I would like to see what you guys think is the best headset for gaming/rock/dubstep in the $200 dollar range, with some research I have narrowed it down to those two headsets but I am not well versed in audio hardware.

Also, would there be a need to have an AMP/dedicated sound card (I currently own a gtx 970).

Solution
Well those two headphones are in different leagues. Spec wise the DT 990 PRO is an overall better headphone. Wider soundstage, higher fidelity, more comfortable, better quality material used.

The m50x are closed back, the 990 PROs are open. Having an open back design will allow your ears to breathe, and are generally associated with a wider sound stage. Since it is open back this also means less noise isolation and a lot more sound leakage. The 990 PROs have a surprising amount of bass for an open back pair and have a fun v shaped sound signature. The m50x is similar, but to a greater extent. They are also more forward sounding and will have greater bass impact. The m50x are darker sounding compared to the 990 PROs, which are on the...

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Well those two headphones are in different leagues. Spec wise the DT 990 PRO is an overall better headphone. Wider soundstage, higher fidelity, more comfortable, better quality material used.

The m50x are closed back, the 990 PROs are open. Having an open back design will allow your ears to breathe, and are generally associated with a wider sound stage. Since it is open back this also means less noise isolation and a lot more sound leakage. The 990 PROs have a surprising amount of bass for an open back pair and have a fun v shaped sound signature. The m50x is similar, but to a greater extent. They are also more forward sounding and will have greater bass impact. The m50x are darker sounding compared to the 990 PROs, which are on the brighter side.

The DT 990 PROs are more comfortable than the m50x. They use velour pads, have a lower clamping force, have better headband padding, and weigh less.

Unlike the m50x,the DT 990 PROs do not come with removable cables. There are mods for this however.

The DT 990 PROs have a 250 ohm impedance where as the M50x is only 38 ohms. The DT 990 PROs need an amplifier to bring them to their full potential, but you could likely get by without one for some time. Good options to drive them would be amps such as the Objective2 or Schiiit Magni (2). Both are are around $100.

Overall it isn't a fair comparison. If you wanted a closed back headphone in the same price range as the 990 PROs , the DT 770 PROs would do the trick. It does everything better than the m50x for around the same price.

Solution

jaden43129

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

Thanks for your answer! It seems like the DT 990 PRO is the way to go. I mostly lean towards an open back design as I'm in a cramped corner of a room, so hearing that they offer better overall quality as well is a deal breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.