BIC/Acoustech PL-200 or Klipsch R-10SW?

Celdwist

Estimable
May 15, 2015
Hey, I'm looking for a new subwoofer. My local bestbuy is having a sale on their Klipsch R-10SW Subwoofer. Original price was $350 but now it's $175. It's peak wattwage is 300w and 150w continuous. However I found a BIC/Acoustech Platinum Series PL-200 that produces 250 continuous watts with 1000 watts peak!!! For $250 on amazon. Would this be the better buy? Would it be worth it to get this sub for $75 more? Or is this brand not as good compared to Klipsch? I have a large basement that is not square, it's irregular. That's why I was looking towards the higher wattage BIC.

clarkjd

Distinguished

Generally speaking(no pun) the more power the better. that being said, the real spec here is the output in DB. For a given sound level, to get a barely perceptible increase in loudness, you would need TWICE the power. to double the volume would require 10 times the power. this is true of ANY speaker/amplifier combo.

At one time, I had a set of BIC Venturi Formula 6 speakers from 1975. The ONLY reason I got rid of them was the wife didn't want such large speakers in the living/media room. :/

It comes down to how efficient the subwoofers are. BIC has 100 watts RMS more the Klipsh, but that doesn't mean that there is a NOTICABLE difference in volume between the two. The question here is what sounds better to you? That is something that cannot be determined simply by comparing specs

clarkjd

Distinguished

Generally speaking(no pun) the more power the better. that being said, the real spec here is the output in DB. For a given sound level, to get a barely perceptible increase in loudness, you would need TWICE the power. to double the volume would require 10 times the power. this is true of ANY speaker/amplifier combo.

At one time, I had a set of BIC Venturi Formula 6 speakers from 1975. The ONLY reason I got rid of them was the wife didn't want such large speakers in the living/media room. :/

It comes down to how efficient the subwoofers are. BIC has 100 watts RMS more the Klipsh, but that doesn't mean that there is a NOTICABLE difference in volume between the two. The question here is what sounds better to you? That is something that cannot be determined simply by comparing specs

ASK THE COMMUNITY