BIC/Acoustech PL-200 or Klipsch R-10SW?

Celdwist

Estimable
May 15, 2015
Hey, I'm looking for a new subwoofer. My local bestbuy is having a sale on their Klipsch R-10SW Subwoofer. Original price was $350 but now it's $175. It's peak wattwage is 300w and 150w continuous. However I found a BIC/Acoustech Platinum Series PL-200 that produces 250 continuous watts with 1000 watts peak!!! For $250 on amazon. Would this be the better buy? Would it be worth it to get this sub for $75 more? Or is this brand not as good compared to Klipsch? I have a large basement that is not square, it's irregular. That's why I was looking towards the higher wattage BIC.

Solution

Generally speaking(no pun) the more power the better. that being said, the real spec here is the output in DB. For a given sound level, to get a barely...

clarkjd

Distinguished

Generally speaking(no pun) the more power the better. that being said, the real spec here is the output in DB. For a given sound level, to get a barely perceptible increase in loudness, you would need TWICE the power. to double the volume would require 10 times the power. this is true of ANY speaker/amplifier combo.

At one time, I had a set of BIC Venturi Formula 6 speakers from 1975. The ONLY reason I got rid of them was the wife didn't want such large speakers in the living/media room. :/

It comes down to how efficient the subwoofers are. BIC has 100 watts RMS more the Klipsh, but that doesn't mean that there is a NOTICABLE difference in volume between the two. The question here is what sounds better to you? That is something that cannot be determined simply by comparing specs

Solution