Bitdefender 2017 Review

xehpa25

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
Firstly I want to say I want to say I loved the software when I first installed it in 2015. This year I wanted to upgrade to "Total Security 2017" from the 2016 version, my subscription was almost up and there was a really good deal that came my way it was $30.00 (cad not usd) for the 2017 platfrom, this was Oct 16th. I contacted customer support and was told the support team had to manipulate my subscription and someone would get back to me in 48hrs. They did get back to me over a week later and they told me they were still working on it, after several emails back and fourth explaining I was having issues with the link that was sent finally on Nov 1 I had Bitdefender up and running. I loved the new layout, and even look past the fact they charged my $40cad and not the $30 that was attached to the promotional email i received. Then I started to get "mshta.exe error", I couldn't do anything without this error popping up. However I didn't relate this error to Bitdefender. I spent 72hrs, clean install after clean install, system restore, etc.....and then I started to pay attention to when the error started to happen. Every time it started to happen after I reinstalled Bitdefender from central. I stopped using it, gave up on the software and gave up on the support team. I did try to reinstall a couple more times hoping my computer was just having a bad day and since I was trying out trial periods from other software companies I felt I didn't have much to loose and every time the same error after the install. So i decided to purchase another piece of software from a competitor, it was half the price and offered more (Norton). All I have asked from Bitdefender is to be refunded the $40 that I spent on a piece of Software I cannot use, it is now Dec 3rd. I have sent 3 emails asking for the name and contact for the manager of the support team and I still have not received a reply and the last email i sent was on Nov 29th and the last email I have received from them was Nov 24th. The last email i received from them, they asked me to create a support tag, there is no way I am going to reinstall Bitdefender just to generate a support tag. I don't think I was asking for very much when i asked to be refunded $40.00. I have never had such a terrible experience when dealing with a company, I am sure there are more amazing stories about the company then bad, unfortunately I am one of the bad and I have all the emails to this situation saved. Open ticket 2016110316410002

N5413K

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016
Since Bitdefender Total Security got such glowing reviews I decided to give it a try. Sophos Home has my Sierra OS Mac severely broken every morning.

I went to the BitFinder site and put the Total Security package in my shopping cart. As I started to check out I see there is a "Recommended" $99 virus removal add on. I spent a little time and found out that even though they offer to let me pay for it, they don't actually have that service for Mac's. Seemed kind of slimy of them not to mention that. I continued on to payment via PayPal. Once logged into my PayPal account I see a PopUp that informs me that BitDefender will, in future complete any purchases I make and debit my PayPal account without my further authentication "for my convenience".

That was it for me. Although I trust that the software must be pretty good to the ratings it gets, doing business with them is just too big a risk. I canceled the transaction.

I know these guys are a sponsor of this web site and I'm happy to support businesses that support the things I like but this is a little too far for me to go.

Glen_12

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
terrible company. they deducted 89 from my account. i notified them immediately and they've done nothing to refund it. the product is also terrible. i had fewer problems with the free version of avast. i also had to ask them for a removal tool to get the program off my computer, as it isn't removed in the control panel the way that most programs are.

ashadylady

Commendable
Jan 23, 2017
BEWARE: Bitdefender "automatically renewed" my subscription for $30 more than the available price on their website. According to their customer support, automatic renewals are processed at the highest list price. IF YOU HAVE AUTOMATIC RENEWAL, CANCEL IT NOW! I don't authorized automatic renewals to my PayPal account, but they processed it anyway! When I complained, they cancelled my (unauthorized) renewal, but have not refunded my (unauthorized) payment. The product is ok, but there are other products, just as good, that don't price gouge you.

ajhendrick

Commendable
Feb 6, 2017
CREATES SCREEN -LOCKER POP-UPS ON YOUR MACHINE: In early February, 2017, they sent out a customer satisfaction survey that just popped up on the screen. The survey was mandatory - the only way to get rid of it was to take it. There was no decline option, and no close button on the screen pop-up or within the survey. I thought they were going to protect me from unwanted intrusions on my system, but instead they are inflicting them on me. Aside from taking the survey (which was them just fishing for compliments), the only way to get rid of it was to close everything in progress, save all work, and restart the machine. Ugh!

redschuhart

Estimable
Aug 16, 2015
Bitdefender use underhand tactics to scam money from you. I purchased their AV 2017, after payment I was taken to site labelled "Download & Install". The ONLY link on that page was a green button titled "Get It Now". I clicked on this assuming it was a download link. It wasn't, it was a slimy way of getting me to buy their 'install and configure' service for another £19.99!!
What a low dirty trick, what you'd expect from the people Bitdefender is supposed to protect us from!
I have sent requests for a refund and had NO RESPONSE at all.
What a low despicable company.

Theresa_21

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017
DO NOT BUY BITDEFENDER! 1) they trick you into a second charge when you hit 'Get it Now'. They charged the guy above 20 pounds. They charged me an extra $32. They wouldn't give you an activation code until you made this second purchase. I have also sent refund requests and logged a support ticket and filed a complaint with paypal. Now it's time for the nasty reviews. 2) they automatically register you for a subscription. Their purchase tactics are awful. 3) the version I did download locked down my internet so I couldn't access the internet. I had to uninstall it. DO NOT BUY. DO NOT BUY. TOTAL RIPOFF.

Andulvar

Estimable
Nov 13, 2014
This is a paid review. If you go through the internet you will see how much this program sucks. You cannot uninstall it and the company doesn't seem to know how to uninstall it. I would avoid this PoS at all costs and any company shilling it should be avoided as well.

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
Regardless of the fact, I do think that Bitdefender is one of the better software out there when it comes to freeware security. Yeah, it might have some issues with the way they do pop-ups and marketing, but the software itself still stands well. But more and more people seem to find that annoying, I do understand that.

JJR2

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Horrible, HORRIBLE PRODUCT! BD Totoal Security 2018 "Threat Defense" blocked Steam updater without comment--eventually had to turn it off to get the update installed. "Safe Files" prevented a critical application from saving files to the standard application folder on another computer--had to turn that off. Today it demands that it has never been updated, although notifications show update 15 minutes ago. Update will not complete.
Support is among the worst I've seen in 37 years working with computers. The "support team" actually cut and pasted the wrong page from their solution key to me in response to a support request. Support request about the other two problems have gone unanswered for days.
Actually makes me look back fondly on the Norton product I got this to replace.

JJR2

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Oh, and BD 2018 turned WINDOWS FIREWALL on without asking. I'm afraid they might actually be using it as part of the included firewall.

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
While it might seem what they are doing are intrusive, if you think about it, they are trying to do their job. Turned off the firewall is a massive security hole. Also, if you are not buying BD, you have a FREE anti-virus solution, while it might have some issues, it does the job. I do see a lot of great benefits coming out from it, but I am certainly not denying, that it has plenty of issue on its own.

JJR2

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Tom's Hardware should be mortified by it's glowing review of this nightmare of a product. Will never trust your reviews again.

JJR2

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Finally got them to admit on their Twitter account that Bitdefender's "firewall" IS Windows Firewall---with a thin UI and some minimal features pasted over it.

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
Most of them are like that. Firewalls are quite hard and expensive to develop on their own, so usually, it is just a matter of adaptability.

Reviews or not, it is common knowledge to read multiple perspectives on a product, no matter how trusted the reviewer is. Multiple perspectives give you a firmer view on the topic.

pjcamp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
DO NOT USE BITDEFENDER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!

I use Fsekrit to store passwords in an encrypted file. Bitdefender decided it was a malicious program and deleted it on its own authority. Completely. Not in the recycle bin, not in the quarantine, nowhere. Hundreds of passwords down the drain. All I did was use a piece of software I've used for years.

That is complete <mod edit>

<Watch your language in these forums>