Bitdefender uses a lot of ram and cpu help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alii98

Estimable
Nov 6, 2016
Hi,I got bitdefender as I got a nasty virus that I cleaned with malwarebytes and wanted to make sure I don't have anything left,but it uses a lot of cpu and ram,the ram is actually not so noticeable,but my cpu goes crazy,and it isn't neither a weak or a strong cpu,it's pretty decent for a laptop,but my mouse was literally lagging while playing a game
And when I was downloading something from steam I tried playing an old game but the game just froze and loaded slow(I have it on an ssd,both OS and that old game)
Any tips to make cpu and ram usage lower?

Colif

Distinguished
CPU usage should only be high if its scanning a SSD. I have noticed it takes my CPU to 100% if its scanning SSD files. Its why I have most of my files on a hdd as its nowhere near as bad. Bitdefenders best protections are avoiding getting infected in 1st place, so I hardly ever scan the PC fully.

Is its CPU usage a lot lower if not scanning? Mine doesn't use any CPU when idle and only 290mb of ram

alii98

Estimable
Nov 6, 2016
And another thing as I see you are a cpu guy
In task manager it shows a higher cpu usage than all the processes use,and same in process explorer,no tasks that use so much cpu,any idea?

Colif

Distinguished
It seems a bit high as I just downloaded updates over steam and it only used 1.7% of CPU. it might be scanning the network activity of Roblox since its using .7mb/s.

Try a restart and show me its activity if nothing is running?

You downloaded process exploder? (sorry, explorer). Task manager and Process Explorer don't agree about CPU usage on my PC either. Task explorer sees it as 3% but process explorer sees 10%. The difference is how much the system uses. You aren't only user on the PC, System and Trustedinstaller are needed for win 10 to function.

Task manager only shows the usage by you, whereas process explorer also shows processes run by the system.
If you click on the users tab in Task manager you will see your user is using same amount as shows in CPU column of Processes.
Click the arrow next to user name on the user tab shows all the processes your user is responsible for.

You can see the users in Process explorer by right clicking header and choose select columns... and then User name. If you run process explorer as admin, it will show the user names of other users instead of showing access denied.

what are specs of PC?

alii98

Estimable
Nov 6, 2016
i3 6006u
8gb ram ddr4 2133mhz dual channel
240gb ssd for os and a few games
and a 5400rpm hdd for games mostly
the laptop is like 9 months old
and it seems that the cpu calmed down?
and I tweaked bitdefender profiles and it seems to have helped it
restarted like 6 hours ago and the ram usage went like half way down,but I kept it for scan thinking it would take like 5 hours
Thansk for the help,it seems the system is using the rest

SteveSBE

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
My Bitdefender Total Security 2019 is using 16% of my CPU consistently. Specifically in Windows 10 Task Manager the "Bitdefender Security Service" "Bitdefender Virus Shield" is using this 16%.

Status
Not open for further replies.