BitTorrent Proxies, VPNs Increased After 'Six Strikes' Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmem

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]Amazing what lengths people go to illegally download stuff they shouldn't.[/citation]

Yes and no, there is some truths to both sides of the argument. while many artists, movie studios and game studios have lost enormous profit due to these downloads, many more have been discovered by the majority of consumers, Microsoft's OS would've never expanded to most of the developing countries at the $100 price they're charging, and a lot of amazing art and music wouldn't have been possible because companies like Adobe and Sony charge fees way higher than any beginner can afford.

there needs to be some balance to this issue, and the government needs to understand that outright invasion of privacy and screening will never be the solution.

prettyplease99

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]Amazing what lengths corporations will go to try and justify destroying our liberties when they shouldn't.[/citation]

I agree! Outrageous!!!

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
People will always find away. I wold not be surprised if new torrenting programs will directly support VPN or proxies.

edogawa

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
[citation][nom]vmem[/nom]Yes and no, there is some truths to both sides of the argument. while many artists, movie studios.....[/citation]

More aware of these issues than you realize, it was just a statement of what means people will go to.

Didn't mean to double post previously, sites been weird for me since update(404) errors and stuff.

I find it hard to support both sides of the equation at times. We need better better availability and access to content at fair prices without weird things keeping people from viewing content in other countries too.

I can understand too when people pirate a game when companies like EA do disgusting single player DRM, it only hurts paying customers.

I still don't find it right to download something when illegally without purchasing the right to consume that consent. It's like sneaking into an amusement park without paying for the right to be there.

I know I will be down voted for these comments though too, but I still feel the urge to post my opinion with so many pro-piracy people here.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
If you look at TorrentFreak's graph, it actually shows that demand already peaked and is heading sharply back downwards.

I don't doubt that demand will gradually increase over the long-term, but this dramatic flux in demand is more indicative of a paranoia-induced frenzy.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]merikafyeah[/nom]VPNs have many uses outside of piracy, but while we're on the topic of piracy, many people might not realize it but piracy hurts open-source far more than it does corporations[/citation]

OK, it is early in the morning and I did not have coffee yet; but still, I do not understand how piracy of basically 'free' software hurts those providing the free software ?

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
My biggest frustration is not been able to buy what I want when I want when I know it is available in the US. Networks in other countries make deals tying up the rights to broadcast so people cant just buy what they want. I missed some episodes of one of my favorite series and now I have to wait until August to see it on DVD. Very annoying.

frederico

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I may or may not have pirated games and films in the past.

I certainly don't try to pretend to myself or others it's anything other than stealing.

As long as media is easy to duplicate, then people will duplicate it, companies will lose money, and they will crack down - and so the circle continues, but to make excuses for piracy is getting pretty silly - we all know what we're doing

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
I hate the idea that anyone is looking at what I do on the Internet for any purpose, encrypted VPNs for everyone, let's see If Verizon cares enough to decrypt everything to inspect it.

blackbke

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Hello.

I used to be a serial killing psychopath, but since pirating has become the world's most serious crime I've turned to illegal downloading. The ridiculous amount of movies, games and music I'm now leeching for free seemingly damages the worldwide economy SO much that the thrill of serial killing pales in comparison. How awesome is that!

Could anyone be so viciously kind to give me a kill ratio? Like: 1000 gb of illegal movie download gives me 5 layoffs somewhere in the world? I would really love that. Thanks!

Your pain, my gain.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I wouldn't be suprised if ISPs are "forced" to start either start blocking VPN/proxy traffic or start sniffing the packets (I'm not convinced that the encryption protocols are entirely secure).

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
just watch, about 70% of the searched VPN proxies or VPN torrent return results searched on google are going to be house and maintained by the goverment haha.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Nobody is going to block VPN traffic due to it's nature of encryption. There are different flavors of VPN such as IPSec and OpenVPN. OpenVPN is the most common and since it's flexible you can assign any port you want. Hell, you can use port 443 and it'll look like normal SSL traffic from the browser.

Also, there are alot of legit uses for VPN such as connecting to corporate network.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Content providers need to realize: there will always be people who will pirate your stuff. Stop trying to aim for that small group of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.